Another Moen retaining clip thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Whitall

Reaction score
Hoping a new post brings fresh ideas. I have a 25 year old Moen positemp bathtub /shower faucet. It's been dripping for years so I finally decided to tackle it. I had waited because there's no shut off valve and I was afraid to shut off the whole house in case I screwed it up. Got my cartridge 1222 from Moen. Couldn't get the old one out so I got the pulling tool from Lowes. I got it out and it came out so hard I fell back, glad the glass door wasn't behind me.

Could not get that darn clip in. Stuffed a paper towel with vinegar in there for about 20 minutes and tried to scrub it with a little brush for straws that I have (not a wire brush) and I did turn the water back on to blast anything out for a few seconds.. Still could not get it in. I even used the tool to shove it in as far as possible. I put the old one in and it almost wouldn't go in, had to use the tool to get it in. Finally, after a wiggle with the tool it snapped into place, figuring that was the trick I tried it with the new one but NO go. I put the old one back in and at least I can turn the house water back on.

I saw a video, probably by a plumber, where they had the perfect round copper brush that they stuck in there...is that my only hope? It doesn't look gunky, but I think there MAY be a little build up around the very perimeter of the pipe in the very back. I don't know what can clean, or if that is the problem. I need 1-2 mm more. Would CLR work better than vinegar? Is paper towel ok? Do I need that stiff wire brush and does HD carry it? I'm so close!! This should have been a 15 minute job, took all afternoon including the soak, trip to Lowes and internet research. Thank you for advice!!!

moen-stops-with-clips-pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The trick is don't push cartridge in by the stem (center) but do push cartridge in by the outsides of the cartridge the plastic . Be sure its turned with ears on top , and bottom and not turned a little

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trick is don't push cartridge in by the stem (center) but do push cartridge in by the outsides of the cartridge the plastic . Be sure its turned with ears on top , and bottom and not turned a little
Yes, I use the provided tool to push the cartridge in. Also some plumbers grease will help it to slide in.

moen-1222-with-tool.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks