Another help me pick a pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Cbrider

Reaction score
Doing a new residence where the only water source is rainwater collection. Largely due to poor water quality (high TDS) from many of the wells in the region.

Right now, I've got a 5K gallon tank (we'll be adding others that are connected) and need to choose a "whole house" water pump for it. The tank is above ground, about 12' tall. So we'll have a choice of in-tank pump or jet pump.

Have 220v/240v power easily available.

The only real "gotcha" here is that the house (2500 sqft, 4 bed) will be about 200' away from the pump itself and situated at 18' higher elevation than the bottom of the tank.

I've gone through a few threads and have found:
  • Red Lion pumps - probably secondary build quality, but still cast components, etc.
  • Gundfos seems to be the leader in reliability, but costs a bit more
  • My neighbor is using an all-in-one pump by Walrus - 3/4 hp, they make a high-head version (higher operating pressure). It's dead easy to install with controller/regulator/pressure tank build in, but seems to have numerous plastic components.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah those all in one things are garbage. 18' in elevation, 200' away, and 4 bedroom needs a J15S pump, a PK1A with a 10 gallon tank, and a 50/70 pressure switch setting. It is not a cheap system like that walrus, but will still be working 30 years from now, and your neighbor will have replaced that "all in one" thing a dozen times.

Reach4

Reaction score
A submersible pump is another option. A 1/2 HP submersible will give about the same performance as a 1 HP jet pump. No priming. Quieter.

Can go in the tank horizontally in a shroud.

The jet pump has the advantage that it can suck out of a drain port.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks