Another Dumb Newbie Question... CSV Bypass?

Users who are viewing this thread

DaveK01

Reaction score
From what I've read, most of the CSV's reduce pump flow to around 1 GPM when the pump discharge is fully throttled. Unfortunately, newer pumps seem to have higher minimum flow requiremts.

Is it better to find a CSV that meets the minimum flow requirements, or would a properly sized bypass orifice work to provide the minimum required flow when the CSV is fully closed? I don't want to buy a bigger valve if it isn't needed!

Reach4

Reaction score
There are standard CSVs that pass 3 GPM. Expect to use a pressure tank about 3x as big.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You want to stay with the 1 GPM bypass in the CSV. That way as long as you are using more than 1 GPM the pump does not cycle and you can use a smaller tank. If the bypass is 3 GPM, anything less than 3 GPM usage, as with a 2.5 GPM shower, will cause the pump to cycle, and requires a pressure tank that is 3 times larger.

Just don't use a Franklin pump as they are the only ones who say their pump will not work down to 1 GPM. All other brands will work fine down to 1 GPM, and they have been doing so for 24 years now with CSV control systems. I really don't think the Franklin has a problem at low flow rates, as they use that same pump in their in-line series that has the little controller that works down to 1/5th of a GPM. But of course that in-line controller won't extend the pump life like a CSV will do, which is why they say they have a problem with low flow from a CSV, but don't have the same problem on their little controllers which work down to 1/5th of a GPM. Go figure!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks