Another closet flange, closet bend question

Users who are viewing this thread

pazure

Reaction score
I've searched the forums using many different search terms, but can't find an answer to my question.

I had a plumber install a 4" PVC closet bend to a ABS pipe system (used a Fernco fitting to connect the two), but the problem is, the top of the 90° closet bend is only 3/4" below the finished floor surface. I'm pretty experienced at doing bathroom renovations and so told the plumber to leave it for me to finish off. He left me a closet flange, and a section of 4" pipe, telling me to do a hub to hub connection, using a stub to join the two.

When I try to do that, and cut the hub part of the flange, it results in about 1/2" of hub remaining, so essentially, the stub would be inserted and glued to only 1/2" of closet flange hub. That doesn't seem to me like it's enough to ensure a good enough hold.

My thought is to use a Spigot Closet Flange to insert into the hub of the closet bend. The Sioux Chief Closet Flange spigot I found at HD has a spigot that is 1 1/16" long. And so it traverses the 3/4" of airspace before reaching the closet bend. When fully depressed into the Closet bend, it would contact only 15/16" of PVC.

1) Is that enough surface to ensure a long term seal?
2) I'm guessing that cutting a 1/4" piece of pipe to fill in the gap at the bottom of bend would be a risky move?
3) Would I be better off ordering this EZ Flow Flange with a long spigot, then cutting that spigot down to size?

flange_extender.jpg

The Sioux Chief has a very thin stainless steel ring. I want a high quality closet flange, and don't mind paying a bit extra. If #3 is the way to go, do you know where I can get one with a PVC Closet flange Spigot (with at least long enough spigot) with a Stainless steel ring (with decent thickness) that is of high quality?

Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks