(another)basement rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

f_armer

Reaction score
There seems to be alot of discussion on basements, so I'll throw my dilema in the ring.
I am in a rural area, tied to a septic system.
My basement never had any provisions for a bathroom, only a floor drain.
I have a 3" main stack in the area where I want to add a toilet sink and shower. Above tied into this stack is a toilet sink and bathtub.
For now I would like to rough in the, in floor, part of the job and would like some insight.
I would like to have a plumber come in and have a look, but right now that is almost impossible because they all seem to be extremely busy.
Hopefully my drawing will help show what I want to do.
P1000317Medium.jpg

The 2" line is about 8' long to give a perspective. Is this anything close to what might be required?

OK let me have it :eek:

jeffdt

Reaction score
I'm far from being a pro but my first thoughts were #1, I don't see any plans as to venting. #2 is the septic system sized for an additional three fixtures? I'm sure one of the pro's that visit the site well be able to get the project on the right path.

Jeff

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Tubs were 1-1/2" but a shower has to be 2". Every trap must have a vent.
Depending on where you are the code for wet venting varies.

A bathroom with no lavatory?

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What you have works as long as you can wet vent. The vent from the lavatory will have to tie into the vent system (or run all the way independently to the roof) above the fixtures in the floor above. The shower needs to be a 2" line.

As far as your septic system it should definitely be checked to make sure it's designed for the additional fixtures but I haven't seen one where a single bath would throw it over the limit.

f_armer

Reaction score
Jeffdt: This was what I was thinking for in the floor. I'm not sure if I need to wye off the shower drain to a vent. And I thought I could vent up from the sink drain on the far side and come back to the main stack. I would have to go at 6" above the upstairs sink to be right. I guess we better discuss venting now also ;)
The exit to the septic tank is 4" I'm not sure where in the floor it goes from 3"-4" but all there is after the main stack is the washing machine, kitchen sink, and dishwasher. It is a large septic with an automatic pumpout into my trees. Should be no problem with the septic part of it.

Last edited:

f_armer

Reaction score
What you have works as long as you can wet vent. The vent from the lavatory will have to tie into the vent system (or run all the way independently to the roof) above the fixtures in the floor above. The shower needs to be a 2" line.

As far as your septic system it should definitely be checked to make sure it's designed for the additional fixtures but I haven't seen one where a single bath would throw it over the limit.

I can wet vent as long as it works properly;)
I'll be sure to run 2" to the shower. So the only vent I really need is from the 2" from the lavatory. Do I dare bring up using a AAV there? Would make my life easier.
I want it to be done right, but in reality, it is not going to be inspected.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Yes, 2" vent from the lavatory and though an AAV might be code legal I would not use it there, natural vents are better 99.9999999999999% of the time.

f_armer

Reaction score
Would it be better to join on the existing 3" in 2 seperate places? One for the WC and one for the shower/lav drains? I wondered if flushing the toilet might be more prone to sucking a trap dry in the shower the way I have it layed out here.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
For my designs I try to minimize the # of connections to the existing and you shouldn't have a the toilet sucking the shower trap dry. Additionally, if you connect separately to the existing main you will have to provide a vent for the toilet.

f_armer

Reaction score
Should I be putting a sleeve of some sort around the plumbing where it comes through the concrete?

f_armer

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I have one more question. Would it be alright to add in a branch about 3' long to a 2" floor drain tied in with a 3x3x2 wye between the existing and the 3" 45degree? My furnace is in that area and I have been using a pail for collecting the condensation off the A/C, thought this would be a good time to add in a drain.
I hope you follow....let me know if you want an updated pic

f_armer

Reaction score
Ok update, I hope this works, I redid my plan and I'm kinda into the point of no return, so here is what I have.
the floor drain and shower both have traps of course, the vent on the shower is a 2x2x1-1/2 san-tee, you can't see it very well in the pic.

diy-plumbing.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you connect the toilet with a separate connection then you will have to vent it also. Running the A/C condensate anywhere near a floor drain will be a guarantee to give you sewer gases in the house during the Winter time, and also during dry months in the Summer.

f_armer

Reaction score
Is the toilet not vented through the sink drain?
Could you explain why the A/C draining into the floor drain would cause sewer gases? Is it because the trap would dry up?
Thanks

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Should I be putting a sleeve of some sort around the plumbing where it comes through the concrete?

You need a closet spacer for the toilet where it penetrates the concrete, and you need a box around the shower trap to aid with the installation. Under the UPC you can use a flat vent off the floor drain; you come off before the trap at a 45deg. angle, run the line to the nearest wall with 1/4in per foot fall, come up into the wall and add a c.o. and continue to the vent. If you put the floor drain in you should run a trap primer to it, that will save you from keeping water in the seal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks