Another basement and mainfloor DWV layout

Users who are viewing this thread

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been reading threads on this site for a few months now and must say, this forum is an amazing source of knowledge!

Now on my my project...
I'm starting a renovation and will be installing a new main floor bathroom (toilet and sink) and a new full basement bathroom (tub, shower, toilet, sink). I'm looking for validation that my runs and vents all make sense. I apologize for the quality of the drawings, I do not have any software that supports plumbing fixtures.

plumbing_existing.jpg

The first picture is for the existing pluming. The floor drain and stack that serives the kitchen are left "unknown" because I have not broken up that section of the floor yet. For the kitchen stack, I will installing a long elbow just below the basement ceiling, running it horizontal with proper slope, and pass through the concrete floor where the second drawing shows it. Because I can, I will probably install an additional cleanout at the elbow where the ABS turns down towards concrete floor.

The main waste stack is all cast. i will be cutting it off at the basement ceiling (it appears to be properly support above that), switching to ABS, and then installing a long elbow just below the basement ceiling, running it horrizontal with proper slope, and pass through the concrete floor where the second drawing shows it. Because I can, I will probably install an additional cleanout at the elbow where the ABS turns down towards concrete floor. The entire cast wast stack below the concrete will be replaced with ABS as well.

The reason I'm elbowing these two existing stacks is to make room for the bathroom, and to maintain access to the clean-outs. The two existing stacks (kitchen and 2'nd floor bathroom) will continue to tie into the existing vent. All the new fixtures in the basement and vents shown can be tied into the new vent in the basement that runs up to the new first floor bathroom. that vent will run up to the attic. Can I tie it into the existing 3" vent pipe through the roof? Or does the additional two toilets, 2 sinks, 1 tub, 1 shower require a separate vent through the roof?

plumbing_new.jpg

A note about 3 horizontal runs in the bottom right corner...
In Canada, when a stack is servicing any fictures on a floor above, we cannot tie a branch into that stack until it has run horizontal at least 5ft.
This is to recude the risk of siphoning other traps on the branch, that is why there are some random 5ft markers on the drawing. I'm not sure what IPC or UPC say about this, so I thought I would mention it to avoid any questions. When I lay the new pipes, they will be closer together then showed inthe drawing (unless i should keep them separate?).

some additional things not clearly shown on the drawing:
- Shower drain will have 2" trap.
- Tub drain will have 2" trap.
- sink will have 1.5" trap and trap arm in the walls, which changes to 2" when it run down through the concrete.
- I'm using a 3" floor drain because they are easier to cleanout/flush.
- anything that looks like a 90deg turn, will be long turns.

I don't think I have any questions about the new mainfloor bathroom. I think I have handle on the drains and vents there... especially once I get the basement layout validated.

A question about backwater valves...
I've read that they are often installed where the main waste line exits the house, to prevent sewage back-flow from outside the house. Is that correct? Should I install one there?
Is there also a risk that upper floor bathrooms/fixtures may overflow the basement fixtures? Is there anything that can or should be done
to address this?

I am in the middle of my permit application process, so everything will eventually be inspected. I'm just trying to get these details sorted out sooner. Once I get my permit, i'll have an inspector assigned by the city, then I will be able to talk to him about these plans.

Are there areas in the drawing that need more information? Oh ya, this house was built in 1954, for those that want to know.

Thanks
Darren

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure if that is the best installation, but it sure looks complicated. IF the trap is vented properly, it will not siphon regardless of how close it is to a vertical line, but they may be referring to the "suds zone" when a vertical pipe goes horizontal. What's with the floor drain line with the 135 degree bend going "backwards"?

darren_t_johnson

Reaction score
I agree, I don't think there would be any siphoning if everything is vented properly... but that's just what some licensed plumbers told me was code. I'm still reading through our code to verify that.

If the 5ft distance isn't a requirement, then I could tie all three lines together on the bottom right (tub + shower+kitchen+2'nd floor bathroom), and then tie everything at the top together (toilent, sink, 1'st floor bathroom). But that wouldn't change the over layout of the runs. Is there a different approach you would take? We have tried just about every possible floor plan and have decided that that is the only place a full bathroom would fit.

I also agree that it looks complicated... which is why I posted it. Most of the other examples I see online usually have a house with a single stack, and all the bathrooms and kitchens on the various floors all line up above it. It makes for very nice drawings and its very easy to implement.

I tried running the tub and shower drains north to tie into the same line that the toilet and sink are using, but that got pretty messy too. That footing for the support post always gets in the way.

I guess the floor drain was not that clear... it is centred in the utility room. The floor drain branches off the main 4" pipe into a 3" pipe and runs straight for 4ft and the trap and drain is right there. The 1" line with a 135 degree bend is trap-prime that collects water from the furnace. The other 1" line that heads south is for another condensing appliance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks