Another 3/4" PEX vs. 1/2" PEX, Hansgrohe iBox post

Users who are viewing this thread

JT-NaN

Reaction score
I have searched many posts on here but I feel like I haven't quite found the convincing answer, yet, so I am giving it a go with this post.

I have two new Hansgrohe iBox rough ins that are going to be connected to the new water supply for my two new bathrooms. One is a shower only, and one is bathtub/shower combo. I have 3/4" copper feeding the bathroom area from ~50 ft from 1" supply from street. 3/4" copper will go to 3/4" PEX right underneath bathrooms. 3/4" PEX will have branches of 1/2" PEX for toilets and sinks. I am left figuring out what to do about the showers. Both will have 2.5 gpm shower head. Thermostatic valves (and one with diverter) are going to be installed in both.

Option A (current option): Take 3/4" PEX to Hansgrohe iBox for both shower and shower/bath combo. For shower, take 1/2" PEX to 1/2" to shower head. For shower/bath combo, same for shower, but then 1/2" copper for spout.

Option B: A, but 3/4" copper to spout

Option C: A, but 1/2" copper to shower heads, too.

Option D: A, but 1/2" PEX to Hansgrohe iBox, 1/2" copper to spout, 1/2" PEX to shower heads.

Note, we live in city with good water pressure. We have a tankless hot water heater (Navient) with dedicated recirc.

What would be the preferred approach? I realize we don't have crazy showers with all kinds of sprays (simple shower head). Doesn't mean that would the case forever, but could be. We also like to conserve water.

(ty)

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 PEX to both, but 1/2 will do for just shower one, 1/2 copper to spout 1/2 PEX to shower heads. Personally I like to run 1/2 copper to spout and shower head. Makes it more sturdy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can run 1/2" to the i-Box if you're only running a tub or a shower. With more outputs, then the 3/4" is nice. It never hurts to run the larger 3/4" though.
Your tub spout is 1/2" anyway isn't it? We run tub spouts in copper or with pipe nipples, keeping the full size dimension. PEX to a tub spout doesn't work with any brand.

JT-NaN

Reaction score
Thanks that helps to know 3/4" PEX is reasonable still, but sounds like it is doable with 1/2" PEX. We have the option to replace it whereas others may not, so we'll continue with 3/4 PEX.

The tub spout has male 3/4" male NPT, 1/2" female NPT. I'm assuming that means that it is 1/2"? And thus 1/2" copper and not 3/4" copper to the spout. The 1/2" copper to shower head is a good idea, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks