Anode rod under hot outlet? Ao Smith GVR 50 300

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYER39

Reaction score
I just want to be sure before I start taking things apart. Tank is about 3 years old and I guess I'm suppose to check the rod. The manual online did not seem to match my setup. I have included a couple of pictures. I was removing the plastic cap on the edge of the tank but decided to stop. Can anyone tell me what the plastic cap is for? Thank you for any help and advice.
DSC_3370.JPG
DSC_3372.JPG
DSC_3373.JPG
DSC_3374.JPG

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you water heater is only 3 years old,
you dont need to be fooling with the rod...
Just because they say you ought to look at something
every so often does not mean to tear into something and
get yourself in troubles.....

the plastic plug you see in the back is where they squirt the styrofoam
into the heater shell.... It appears that your rod is probably attached
to the hot nipple on the heater....

leave it alone

DIYER39

Reaction score
and leave it alone I will... Thank you very much MP Mark for taking the time to answer my questions. I have no problem either way, but I truly value the experience and advice on this forum. Would you or anyone else care to tell me a good time to check the rod, if ever?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The combustible pipe insulation that close to the draft hood & vent piping is a code violation. Give it at least 6" .

DIYER39

Reaction score
I'm a little worried that this is a touchy subject for multiple reasons in the plumbing world. If someone is more comfortable sending me a private message, I would be happy to keep them private.

Dana, the unit was installed by a professional plumbing company. Is there something that I can do to fix the pipe insulation like cutting it off or moving it?

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Is there an age that you think he should check or replace the rod?

If you absolutely must mess with one I would wait at least 6 years .. They are made to get the heater to last
past the warranty period....how long past that time is anyones guess...

DIYER39

Reaction score
Sounds like great advice. Thanks again for all of your help MP Mark. Ive been watching people struggle on youtube to remove their anode rod so I understand your concern. If I had a hex nut anode I would probably give it a shot. Not really sure what I will do in the future with my water heater but it won't be anytime soon.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I'm a little worried that this is a touchy subject for multiple reasons in the plumbing world. If someone is more comfortable sending me a private message, I would be happy to keep them private.

Dana, the unit was installed by a professional plumbing company. Is there something that I can do to fix the pipe insulation like cutting it off or moving it?

Find the point where the insulation is 6" away from the vent, cut it there, and remove everything foamy that's closer than 6".

A utility knife is better for this task than a chainsaw. ;-)

sanjay92

Reaction score
Hi,
I have same question and my pictures are almost same. I have AO Smith ProMax + Model GVR 50 100 Gas Heater and it has been 15 years. Where is location for Anode Rod ?

Attachments

• 20200628_150831.jpg
    20200628_150831.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 20200628_150838.jpg
    20200628_150838.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 20200609_151844.jpg
    20200609_151844.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 475
  • 20200609_152104.jpg
    20200609_152104.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 397
  • 20200628_150840.jpg
    20200628_150840.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 422

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Most likely the anode rod is built into the steel nipple coming out on the hot side of heater....
new ones cost about 65 bucks last I checked....They are pretty easy to change but considering the
age of your water heater I am willing to bet it has been eaten away 5 years ago/

you ought to think about just putting the heater down and getting a new one

sanjay92

Reaction score
Most likely the anode rod is built into the steel nipple coming out on the hot side of heater....
new ones cost about 65 bucks last I checked....They are pretty easy to change but considering the
age of your water heater I am willing to bet it has been eaten away 5 years ago/

you ought to think about just putting the heater down and getting a new one
Yes, That's correct that ANode Rod is under Hot water outlet.
I was able to pull out old rod but new rod which I bought from Amazon Blue Lightning 79099 , I was unable to put back since it was stuck where PVC fitting hits rod. I need to use segmented one since I don't have enough clearance on top. New rod has circumference around PVC side is 7cm while old one is only 6.5 cm. I am looking for correct part number for segmented one. Original part number per AO smith is 100210067

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks