Anode Rod Threads Only Visible

Users who are viewing this thread

Dizzywallin212

Reaction score
Hello all, how does one remove an anode rod from a water heater when the threads are only visible? A pipe wrench will more then likely crush the nipple. The water heater is a Bradford White.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put a 5/8 inch bolt, IIRC, into the hole before using the pipe wrench.

Dizzywallin212

Reaction score
I'm just afraid I may not be able to loosing it and if I destroy the threads, I'm out of luck. Didn't know if there was a better way. I've heard about inserting a filler rod and using lock nuts but I'm not fully aware of the technique behind it.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is something called an internal pipe wrench. My one effort at using one did not work, but others have good results.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I'm not familiar with an anode that is pipe. Can you post a picture? The anodes ive delt with are a solid hex nut with anode built onto it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess I'm not familiar with an anode that is pipe. Can you post a picture? The anodes ive delt with are a solid hex nut with anode built onto it.
Many A.O. Smith and Bradford White tanks have the anode combined with the hot nipple.

100210065-1.jpeg

Dizzywallin212

Reaction score
Well I couldn't get the 3/4 inside the nipple so I tried the 1/2 which went in and once turned, it locked but would give when I put enough pressure on it with a crescent wrench. Guess I'm look into a filler rod, which seems like it will be the next best course.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks