Anode rod rusted in place... is there such a thing as an inline anode for copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Ok, I have these old tanks from 1993. The anode rods are a ball of rust, but the tanks do not leak.
They're Rheem Rheemglas Standard 668H-120-T.

What's my best course: leave the tanks be, or try to get some anode material into some other port on the tank?

Is an "external anode" a possibility? A Corro-Protect?

PXL_20210727_180212425.jpg

One of these?
100111515-1.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Looks like you don't have enough room above to install much of any replacement anode except for a segmented one that can be bent during the install. Messing with it now may just hasten the tank's demise.

From the factory, the anodes are really jammed in there, so unless you remove them during the install, and reinstall them, it's really hard to get them out later.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best course would be to get a full electric anode and not worry about changing it until you get a new water heater. Then you can put it in the new water heater too.

Also there are integral dip tube /anodes. They go in place of your inlet nipple. Which it looks like you have pictured.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks