Anode Length - Old Vs New is Longer

Users who are viewing this thread

RayN

Reaction score
I am draining the water heater today. Its a Rheem 50 Gallon Gas Model 2250F1. It will be 5 years in March 2018 and I have never drained it. I finally got it to drain, but that is another story.

I have a replacement flex anode rod (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ctric-and-Gas-Water-Heaters-SP8371B/205652259) which is 10 inch longer.

The original was 44 inches solid and the new ones is flex 54". Each of the solid element is 12" long and there are 4 elements connected by a cable, so total 48" worth of magnesium. I think it will still fit as is, and I guess the lower portion will just lay in there at the bottom. Is that acceptable?

Should I me cutting the bottom piece to account for 44" or should I leave its as is or cut to some other in between length? You input will be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Should I me cutting the bottom piece to account for 44" or should I leave its as is or cut to some other in between length?
I would cut it to not touch the bottom. You could stick a tape measure down there, but I would think the original length would be good if that is 2 to 4 inches from the bottom. If the length of the original is much different, I would do some more research. I did not find an optimum length. I am sure touching the bottom is bad.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Rheem 50 Gallon Gas Model 2250F1".

Is this the correct model number?
Give us the model number as it's written on the unit.

RayN

Reaction score
"Rheem 50 Gallon Gas Model 2250F1".

Is this the correct model number?
Give us the model number as it's written on the unit.
20171216_102229_1.jpg

Last edited:

RayN

Reaction score
It looks like the bottom is 48" and the anode rod got eaten up the most in bottom 12 inches (its is bare rod in first 2") and top 12 inches. I will wait for experts to chime in. Looks like the anode is not supposed to make a contact with the tank, perhaps the top of the tank where is screws-in is isolated. Thanks...
20171216_111318.jpg

RayN

Reaction score
So, do you think it is desirable to cut to right length or it do not matter if the bottom of new anode touches the water heater bottom?

RayN

Reaction score
Ok, I decided to cut by 8", and put a date on the water heater, when the anode was replaced. I really need to change the drain to a full port ball valve drain, as it clogged on each drain and fill.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have an electric pressure washer? Imagine spraying that into the anode hole.

You could just put a 3/4 NPT nipple in place of the drain faucet in there temporarily for flushing purposes. You could use brass, and put your ball valve on it, or you could use steel temporarily for flushing only, and put the plastic valve back in place when done.

It is OK to put PTFE tape on the anode threads. The threads will cut right through to make electrical connection. You don't have to torque it nearly as tight as it was originally. I think 15 ft-lb should be fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
FYI, Terry has pointed out that he can sometimes unplug the drain by opening the valve when the WH is pressurized.

RayN

Reaction score
I bet it is true with full port valve. I end up connecting a washer hose to the end of garden house and back flushed from hose bib outside.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bet it is true with full port valve. I end up connecting a washer hose to the end of garden house and back flushed from hose bib outside.
That is why you want ti install a full port ball valve,
next time you are in the plumbing section pick up a hose bib and look inside see how small the hole is that the water runs though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks