Anode difference between Rheem models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chet S.

Reaction score
Looking at the Rheem gas models at H.D. Does the platinum model with the 12 year warranty have an additional anode vs the performance plus with the 6 year warranty? My understanding is B.W. just gives a longer warranty, no additional anode. My State heater is 18 years old. I replaced the anode rod 8 years ago and no leaks yet but want to replace it. I have a plumber friend that will put a B.W. on his account if I want to install it myself. He doesn't do them anymore, can't match the price of a national chain that does them. Not sure which way to go.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Rheem made in Mexico sold by box stores
BW in made USA sold by plumbing houses
Since old heater anode lasted 8 years water must be good if the water was ad it might be concern.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looking at the Rheem gas models at H.D. Does the platinum model with the 12 year warranty have an additional anode vs the performance plus with the 6 year warranty?
AO smith used to sell an extended warranty kit that consisted of piece of paper,
and an extra anode rod to screw in.

You can... do the same. Just add an anode rod now. Or, add a anode rod every 5 years (every 5 years put in an additional rod, and remove the oldest rod).

Pretty much if it's got an X year warranty, the anode is used by the Xth year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks