Angle stops for pedestal sink (FIP vs compression)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm starting to get my fittings together pre-rough-in so I know exactly what I need to stub out and such.

I seem to keep running into two types: FIP (shower riser fitting buried in the wall) and compression. I've dealt with compression before, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the exposed copper look chrome to match.

The FIP ones are already chromed, but there's just something I don't like about a pressure side fitting buried in the wall that I can't inspect for leaks (other than the drywall below it).

Also, quarter turn or compression-seal for shutoffs? I have had good luck with quarter turn, but every compression seal shutoff in my house leaks when I've had to shut it off to swap out a faucet or what not.

Thanks all.

Anthony

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
" I've dealt with compression before, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the exposed copper look chrome to match. "

- Exposed copper stub out? You can paint it.

"The FIP ones are already chromed, but there's just something I don't like about a pressure side fitting buried in the wall that I can't inspect for leaks(other than the drywall below it)."

- Done correctly, it won't leak. I use tape and dope on the thread.

"but every compression seal shutoff in my house leaks when I've had to shut it off to swap out a faucet or what not."

- Measure your house pressure, it might be too high if ALL your angle stops leak.

What I dislike about pedestal sinks: Everything is exposed, Hard to work on the drain, There is no storage space under the sink. Other than that, they're fine.

Reaction score
Pressure is fine in the house. The shutoffs are just very old and probably were never actually closed. Most of the fixtures in the house were original from the 70's. They only leak when I try to seal them. Full open they are fine (and the fixture shuts it off).

I had not thought of painting the copper. Originally I was going to try to cut the stub close and get the stop right at the wall. But now that might give me some wiggle room.

The pedestals were to make room. The bath isn't tiny but the window and plumbing limited where we could put things. Solution was a lot of furniture-like fixtures (claw tub, linen cabinet, pedestals, makeup desk) to take the blocky weight off the floor.

Thanks for the feedback.

Flapper

Reaction score
I seem to keep running into two types: FIP (shower riser fitting buried in the wall) and compression. I've dealt with compression before, but I can't seem to figure out how to make the exposed copper look chrome to match.
You can use something like this, but this solders on
Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 12.36.48 PM.png

Also, quarter turn or compression-seal for shutoffs? I have had good luck with quarter turn, but every compression seal shutoff in my house leaks when I've had to shut it off to swap out a faucet or what not.
Always get quarter-turn unless you have a good reason to get multi-turn.

Flapper

Reaction score
The FIP ones are already chromed, but there's just something I don't like about a pressure side fitting buried in the wall that I can't inspect for leaks (other than the drywall below it).
I agree; I've had many threaded connections leak; also you may run into the problem of the nipple unscrewing or breaking when you unscrew the valve. I'd rather have a connection like a copper solder or pex crimp connection.

Reaction score
Thanks.

I found a couple brands with quarter turn and compression, so I think I'm just going to get a big escutcheon bell over a pex/copper stub out and the risers will be darn near straight with almost no bend or wall copper showing. I wanted to go with Kohler or California Faucets, but they were both FIP (and very expensive).

I also made the decision to go to PEX. There was just going to be too much torch work inside the joist bays to reroute the supplies. This way it's just the transition fitting and I should be able to route much easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks