Angle Stop Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
Looking from some feedback regarding angle values and what is being used the most in residential construction.

Regarding install preference:

1) Full Turn versus 1/4 turn
.....(I used to prefer full and leaving value a 1/4 turn from full open in case value became calcified you
......could work value stem back and forth to get it closed. -- Lately all I've seen is 1/4 turn values installed)
2) 3/8 inch outlet versus larger (e.g. 1/2)
3) Compression versus Sweat
4) Manufacturer
....(I looked at several "BrassCraft" 1/4 turn at HD, but was disappointed that the outlet hole on the value at full open
.....was still partially closed off. Checked a number of them (>30) at two different HD stores and all appeared to have the same issue.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sealing gasket on multi-turn valves often is shot many years down the road when you want to turn it off for maintenance. A good ball-valve should still shut off.

A toilet and most faucets are flow restricted, so 3/8" is plenty.

Compression works fine, but if you prefer, you certainly can sweat them on.

Dahl makes some nice valves, but I haven't really looked around much lately...Dahl is (I think) made in Canada, many of the others are made in a China factory regardless of the brand name.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks