Angle stop outlet is what thread?!

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
I want to attach a tee adapter to the bathroom lavatory cold water angle stop, and am embarrassingly confused by the thread. The flex line that's currently attached says that it has 1/2" FIP on both ends, but it doesn't look or act anything like tapered pipe thread. The tee adapters at Ace said either 1/2" FIP or 1/2" SJ (identical product, different packaging). Again, they don't look anything like FIP. I understand compression fittings in these situations, but don't know what to make of the FIP and SJ designations. I guess partly I'd just like to not be confused, and partly I'd like to know that I'm okay to use the fitting that I purchased. Thanks!

443.jpg 448.jpg 446.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SJ, usually means a slip joint...IOW, not a threaded connection, if I'm reading it right. IPS=iron pipe size, is not a tapered pipe thread.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shut off the main water to the house first.
Let's go from the wall.
- If you remove your angle stop (the shut off valve) you'll probably see a 1/2" nipple coming from the wall.
- If the brass T on pic 3 has a 1/2" compression, use it on the wall nipple.
- If not, get a 1/2"x 1/2"x 1/2" brass T and install it on that nipple.
- For the faucet connection, get a short 1/2"x 1/2" brass nipple and install on the T. Also get a supply flex with two 1/2" ends, one end to go to the faucet and the other end will on the short nipple.
- The last outlet on the T is for whatever else you have in mind.

mc510

Reaction score
If you're connecting with 1/2" FIP, then you need the same for the adapter.
Right, but I don't know what is meant by 1/2" FIP on the existing flex lines. FIP is tapered pipe thread, isn't it? And that's clearly not what's going on where the existing flex line connects to the existing angle stop.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FIP is female Iron Pipe...i.e., it is not a tapered pipe thread...it is straight threads. Those hoses have a gasket in them, and the gasket is what makes the seal...the threads just tighten up (similar to a hose) to compress the seal and hold it in place. If you try to use pipe dope or especially PTFE tape, you'll likely have a leak...they do not require or want anything - just tighten it up, and it doesn't need to be super tight, either.

mc510

Reaction score
FIP is female Iron Pipe...i.e., it is not a tapered pipe thread...it is straight threads. Those hoses have a gasket in them, and the gasket is what makes the seal...the threads just tighten up (similar to a hose) to compress the seal and hold it in place. If you try to use pipe dope or especially PTFE tape, you'll likely have a leak...they do not require or want anything - just tighten it up, and it doesn't need to be super tight, either.
Okay, that's all I really need to know to get the job done; thanks.

Oddly, in this thread, HJ says that FIP is tapered pipe thread. I may never understand the terminology. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks