Anemic flow on frost proof sill cock

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by K-Man, Oct 17, 2020.

1. K-Man

K-Man New Member

Are frost-proof sill cocks flow-limiting?
    I have a Woodford multi-turn on the front wall that has anemic flow.
    It barely runs an impact sprinkler and an oscillating sprinkler is a joke.
    The other in the back yard (non frost-proof) is fine.

New to this house -- so have no history, but I have the pressure regulator on the incoming supply set to about 60 psi. I'd estimate that the length of run is about equal to both locations.
    Is there any other reason why the flow on the Woodford is low?

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Pull and inspect the stem. Often the stem will split and separate so will not retract the washer far enough. I've had to replace the stems on many of them.

K-Man likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

K-Man likes this.
  4. K-Man

K-Man New Member

TY!!
    An issue w/the washer was my nagging at my brain but I never imagined a problem w/ the stem.
    How does the stem split? I can’t picture it.
    Thx
    Ken

5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Assuming a hollow stem, water can stay inside the stem by capillary action and then freeze, splitting the stem.

Another possible issue is the knob was turned too tight to stop a bad washer from dripping. That deforms the washer and presses too far into the seat so it cannot be retracted far enough to get full flow.

Probably when you pull it apart, you will see what is wrong. The good thing is Woodford has replacement parts available to rebuild it if it is to hard to replace with a new 1/4 turn.
    https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-19.html