Anemic flow on frost proof sill cock

Users who are viewing this thread

K-Man

Reaction score
Are frost-proof sill cocks flow-limiting?
I have a Woodford multi-turn on the front wall that has anemic flow.
It barely runs an impact sprinkler and an oscillating sprinkler is a joke.
The other in the back yard (non frost-proof) is fine.

New to this house -- so have no history, but I have the pressure regulator on the incoming supply set to about 60 psi. I'd estimate that the length of run is about equal to both locations.
Is there any other reason why the flow on the Woodford is low?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Pull and inspect the stem. Often the stem will split and separate so will not retract the washer far enough. I've had to replace the stems on many of them.

K-Man

Reaction score
Pull and inspect the stem. Often the stem will split and separate so will not retract the washer far enough. I've had to replace the stems on many of them.

TY!!
An issue w/the washer was my nagging at my brain but I never imagined a problem w/ the stem.
How does the stem split? I can’t picture it.
Thx
Ken

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Assuming a hollow stem, water can stay inside the stem by capillary action and then freeze, splitting the stem.

Another possible issue is the knob was turned too tight to stop a bad washer from dripping. That deforms the washer and presses too far into the seat so it cannot be retracted far enough to get full flow.

Probably when you pull it apart, you will see what is wrong. The good thing is Woodford has replacement parts available to rebuild it if it is to hard to replace with a new 1/4 turn.
https://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_Pages/Model-19.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks