And yet another "add sink in the laundry room" post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Krajewski

Reaction score
Our laundry room doesn't have a sink (go figure). I intend to remedy this soon. I opened the walls and there is a 2" standpipe for the washer drain connected to a 2" vent. I want to add:
  • A utility sink in a vanity in the laundry room
  • A wall mount utility sink in the garage (on a common wall shared between the laundry room and garage)
A picture may speak a thousand words. The blue lines represent existing plumping lines. The orange-ish ones are the new lines.

Two Sinks Diagram.png

Questions:
  • Can one drain line shared by two sinks? I'm guessing that line has to be 2" diameter.
  • What needs to be done for venting (assume that the new line installs just above the existing laundry line tee)?
  • Would an Air Admittance Valve on the utility sink in the garage suffice? I'm trying to stay away for running another vent through the roof.
  • Any other thoughts on how to do this well (besides maintaining a good pitch on the new run)?
Why two sinks so close? Well, one for my wife to use as she sees fit, and one for me in the garage where I clean out paint brushes, clean sprinkler parts, etc. without messing up "her" sink. :)

Appreciate any help in advance. Other suggestions or concerns are welcome!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The laundry sinks still need their own p-trap(s). You can combine them, and use one p-trap, or use one for each sink. You don't need a complete, separate vent for the sinks, but what you have won't cut it if I understand things. You'd want to probably replace the WM connection into the stack with a double-wye, and on the trap arm of the sink(s), run a vent line vertical up to at least 42" above the floor, then, you can connect into the existing vent.

I'm not positive on this, but think I'm correct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks