Anchoring Hose Bib into Concrete Block

Users who are viewing this thread

Wren

Reaction score
What's the best type of fastener to use to anchor a hose bib into concrete block? I've got one that needs anchoring but it appears that the holes for the fasteners have to be very close to the hole for the pipe that I had to drill. I used galvanized for the bibs because I needed to go through the block and wasn't very keen on having the PEX piping I'm using in contact with the blocks. The pipe converts to PEX just inside the block.
I've tried Tapcon screws in the past but had very poor results as they seem to strip very easily, especially when used on block. Is there anything better that would work for this application? What does everyone else use?
Thanks!

]
Bib (1).jpg

Bib (2).jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can secure the connection from the back side of the block would be the best. If you had an elbow connection that you could secure on the inside.

But if you have to screw the bibb to the wall. I would use a tile/glass bit and very carefully drill those holes for a plastic anchor.

Or perhaps fashion a block of some sort (cedar or that you could screw to the block wall wider than the hole, then fasten the bibb to the block. OK.. found one on Amazon

hose-bib-buddy.jpg

hose-bib-buddy-02.jpg

Wren

Reaction score
Well, I ended up using Tapcons, and they were about as crappy as ever, but I managed to get the hose bib anchored. If the hole spacing on the bib was a little wider, it would have gone a lot better. By the time you drill out a large enough hole for the 1/2" galvanized, there's not much meat left to drill for the screw hole.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its the same issue with Kohler Hydrorails and certain pot fillers except those we're dealing in finished tiles..

And so long as you never use the hose bibb i'm certain it will stay nice and tight! ;)

Reach4

Reaction score
What's the best type of fastener to use to anchor a hose bib into concrete block? I've got one that needs anchoring but it appears that the holes for the fasteners have to be very close to the hole for the pipe that I had to drill. I used galvanized for the bibs because I needed to go through the block and wasn't very keen on having the PEX piping I'm using in contact with the blocks. The pipe converts to PEX just inside the block.
If you push on the faucet, does it go flat against the wall pretty easily? If so, I would go with fairly long Tapcons. I am thinking no shorter than 1-3/4. For example, https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tapcon-225-Pack-2-1-4-in-x-3-16-in-Concrete-Anchors/50277927 3/16” x 2-3/4” hex head would be stronger still. Always drill deeper than the tip of the screw will reach, and blow out the dust after drilling. I am not a pro.

You should not have used a galvanized nipple if you were able to get brass.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks