AMP meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
This was given to me today by a happy client, thought it would be cool to share.
amp1.jpg
amp1 (2).jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
There would be sometimes when monitoring current and voltage at the same time could be very useful.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes I have all the fun digital meters but this is old school like me.
Neither a digital meter nor an analog meter can monitor current and voltage at the same time. That takes two meters, unless it is some really special 2-channel device. Maybe I should have said "simultaneously".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In things like home wiring, a simpler, analog meter is less likely to create confusion caused by phantom voltages possible when a high impedance digital meter is used. They each have their place, and each requires a bit more knowledge to use, read and interpret than many people have when you get into one of those less direct situations. You can quickly ruin an analog meter if you attach it with the scale set wrong, for example, but autoranging DMMs are pretty immune to that. You might blow a fuse when measuring current, but usually, on a DMM, it's not catastrophic - just replace the fuse (with the proper size and type!).

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Awesome, the Simpson 260 meter is probably the best meter ever built and probably still millions of them out there in the basement and attics. If you ever dropped one the case might crack but it would still work. I cannot read the meter face but I think it was rated at 20,000 ohms per volt, about the best in its day for a portable/tool box meter. Just about every radio/TV tech had one and when I went to SUNY at Farmingdale, NY for electrical technology from 1968-71, along with Tektronix oscilloscopes. The loop meter is one serious tool. Being around a line carrying a few hundred amps will make you sweat.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks