Amount/purpose of gravel around drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

KristenJensen

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just had the under-slab plumbing completed at my 1951 Maryland home. Old CI pipe was removed to property line and replaced with PVC. Old Type M copper was replaced with type K to property line. Question is regarding gravel. I saw the plumbers placed gravel beneath the pipe about 1/3 the way up the pipe walls. I have a ton of 3/4" washed gravel coming in for french drain and adding more to this load would be a negligible cost.

What is the purpose of the gravel beneath the waste line, and if cost and labor were not a factor, how much gravel should I use and how should I pack it? The plumbing was already inspected and approved and its backfill time. Should I just add back the soil or should I increase the amount of gravel? I would keep enough room to fill 4" of concrete. Thanks and see picture below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-150900_Video Player_2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210717-150900_Video Player_2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,660

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you want for backfill is easily compactable (or almost self-compacting) material without sharp edges that could damage the pipe. So round gravel would be fine. Sand would be fine. Non-rocky native soil is okay, albeit harder to compact. Crushed rock (sharp gravel) should be avoided.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id use more gravel . I have used all native soil many times but this is better

KristenJensen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I decided to refill with native soil. Not great. Because of the high clay and water content, it doesnt compact easily. When I stomp on it, it buckles up in an adjacent area (like a water bed). If I could go back, I probably would have brought in sand by a truck and refilled. Now any casual reader/visitor with similar soil knows too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks