American Water Heater, Help with Gas WH Replacement Part

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkeye1338

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hoping you can help me. I am having issues with my 2009 American Water Heater Company (Model #: PVG6240T42NV) gas water heater. The ignitor piece has come loose so the White Rodgers Intellivent Panel is giving me an error related to the ignitor and isn't lighting or producing hot water. A photo of the ignitor is in the below. My question: Does anyone know if I need to find his exact same sensor (and, if so, any idea where I can get it?, or are they interchangeable? I'm finding it very hard to find this exact piece at a reasonable price. The ignitor part number is "White Rodgers 768A-434 by the way). Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ignitor photo:

Phog

Reaction score
I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but 10yrs is roughly the lifespan of a gas tank water heater. When you start having to put money into it at 11yrs old, it's time to start thinking about whether that money is better spent on a new unit. I don't have any insights on finding the replacement part, sorry.

Hawkeye1338

Reaction score
Wow thank you!!!

And yes, I know I'm due for a new one very soon. Just hoping to get a cheap replacement part to get me through to save my pennies for a new one this fall.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would try cleaning it first. Align the rods,
If still doesn't work, get a new WH.
A new igniter is $100. The used one Reach4 suggested is $29 - don't buy it.
Like was said before, dumping good money on an old WH is not a good idea. Today it's the igniter, tomorrow it will be the gas valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks