American Standard wall hung question

Users who are viewing this thread

Falcona64

Reaction score
I have a 1960’s wall hung that has 8.5” x 8.5” bolt pattern on the bolt carrier support.

I purchased a new American Standard Glenwall Vormax wall hung unit but it has 7.5” x 9” bolt pattern. I was told by the old guy at counter that the old 1960’s carrier is adjustable. I haven’t removed the old toilet yet so I am really hoping I won’t have to buy a new carrier. If I do, does anyone know where I can buy a new carrier with the new bolt pattern? Thanks in advance!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Carriers are made by various mfrs.
JR Smith is one, but it is a total ball of turds to get into the weeds on messing with them.
You could get lucky.
9" across x 7.5" up.down has been industry standard forever, and no adjustment on commercial models. You could have a residential model with adjustment.

Where you could likely run into even bigger trouble is the wall seal, if the depth doesn't match and you can't adjust the rusted drain fitting.

What we do on residential jobs 90 percent of the time: Cut it all out and replumb for floor mount.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen a different bolt pattern on a wall mounted toilet.. Thats crazy. Just measured my JRSmith pattern tool for setting wall hungs.. 7.5x9..phew.

I don't know how you would adjust the width of the carrier tho.. The height should be doable.

You're going to have to open up the wall to see what y ou got. As long as you stay within the outline of the toilet you can place it back with little repair required.

Falcona64

Reaction score
Carriers are made by various mfrs.
JR Smith is one, but it is a total ball of turds to get into the weeds on messing with them.
You could get lucky.
9" across x 7.5" up.down has been industry standard forever, and no adjustment on commercial models. You could have a residential model with adjustment.

Where you could likely run into even bigger trouble is the wall seal, if the depth doesn't match and you can't adjust the rusted drain fitting.

What we do on residential jobs 90 percent of the time: Cut it all out and replumb for floor mount.
Yeah….I will have to either open the back wall to see what I have or just dive in and remove the old toilet and pray I have an old adjustable carrier. Thanks for the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks