American Standard valve body question.

Users who are viewing this thread

DoubleB

Reaction score
My master bedroom shower sprung a leak, found out the cartridge and the pressure balancing needed to be change. It was very difficult to take out the balancing part. Had to use angle pliers and a screwdriver to take it out.

Replaced the part and no leaks!

Felt real proud...

Decided to be pro-active and replace the main bathroom shower valve cart and balancing. This was 10X more difficult, limited space inside the shower insert. No service panel.

Finally, got it out replaced the parts, no leaks when the water is turned back on. When I turn the faucet, water drips between the valve body and the balancing part.

I think I messed up ...

I scuffed up the edge of the valve body while taking out the pressure balancing part. And I believe the balancing part seal is not sealing.

Is there a way to patch this up or do I need a new valve body. I will post some pictures later.

My plan when I get home is to use some sand paper and try to buff the edges to see if it will seal properly.

These are the parts I have: https://assets.supply.com/ul_pdfs/416250_partsspecs.pdf

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Brian

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm sure you have heard, "don't fix was not broke!". Don't worry, I'm guilty of it a few times myself.

Don't use sand paper, but do use the black wet/dry paper (Silicon carbide) used for cars. Start with 1000, and work up to 2000 grit and try it. If it still weeps, you'll need to polish the brass further to 3000 grit. Between tries put a little silicone grease on the scratch to help seal it. If that works, after a while minerals in the water will fill it in, (but no guarantees). Check that the gouge didn't cut into a o-ring or other rubber ike seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks