American Standard two handle tub valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
American Standard two handle re-nu tub valve

Anyone familiar with these? I believ it is a re-nu. Stem leaks at front seal where marked with red arrow only when water is running. Gasket at that point doesn't seem to be compressing when I tighten the cartridge. Seat on the body looks good. Another plumber told me the body was most likely cracked, so I removed it. I can't see anything wrong.

Attachments

• assembly.jpg
    assembly.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
stem.jpgHere is a pic of the cartridge assembly. The barrel (back end) of the stem seems to be seating because the tub spigot doesn't drip water when shut off. It's almost like the assembly is "too long". If I remove the brass washer between the barrel & the stem portion, it seems to tighten up just fine, but I'm not sure that removing the washer is OK.

Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
Yes, the brass washer is there. (blue arrow. That's the washer I'm talking about removing). there is also a rubber washer where the red arrow points to, but with everything tightened down, it is barely compressed. Like I said, it's like the stem assembly is just a bit too long.

Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
So I removed the brass washer, which basically makes the cartridge about 3/32" shorter & everything works just fine. Just not sure why. Anyone have any idea who I could call for advice on this?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as it works, nobody. Your "Re-Nu" barrel has the "O" ring on the end so it does not need as much pressure to seal it to the valve body as the old "all brass" ones did. Yours also has the newer "straight" sides, rather than the "necked down" end of the older sleeves, which your valve probably had originally, and might also make a difference.

Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
Thanks. I cleaned it up, and reinstalled it and am just thrilled that after 80 years, it works, and looks like it could go another 80 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks