American Standard toilet with large trapway ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I was at a resturant the other day and I noticed they had a standard toilet in the restroom that flushed really well. It was manufactured by American Standard and it had an 85 stamped inside the tank and a HUGE flush valve (is that what it's called, the flap thing to release water?). It must have been 4-6" diameter. Anyone know what toilet it could be?

Thx
Jason

plumbtired

Reaction score
American Standard identification?

It may be a Champion with the new-and-improved flush valve. The "85" stamped inside the tank doesn't go with what I know about American Standard Champion toilets' model numbers, though. Their models usually are four digits long, starting with "4." You might try phoning American Standard @800-442-1902 and ask the customer service rep just what this model toilet might be. :confused:

Good luck!

Lakee911

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll see what I can find out. I actually forget where I saw it too. I was traveling too.... Dang. I don't think it was a champion. It was the flapper style, not a cylinder style.

Last edited:

plumbtired

Reaction score
Champion's new-and-improved flapper-style flush valve

As the subject title indicates, American Standard has recognized its problems with the Champion (cylinder) piston-style flush valve enough that they replace that piston-style flush valve assembly with a free, new-and-improved flapper-style assembly WHEN the consumer phones their customer service department. It is possible that the toilet you saw had been updated with the new-and-improved flapper-style flush valve.

I am not sure that the newer Champion toilets are equipped with that new flapper-style flush valve, however, but I would hope so. ...Does anyone out there in the forum know about this??

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Yes - the Champion 4 has the 'new' flush valve that is being sent out to fix the problems with the original Champion flush tower ....

Lakee911

Reaction score
Hmmm ... maybe this will be my next tore-let (toilet). :D How does that new valve hold up?

Jason

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your next one?
A glutton for punishment I guess.

If I had to do this for a living, I would never install a Champion tiolet.
Oh wait, I do this for a living.
Thank God, most of my work is based on installing better tiolets.
85% of my sales are Toto.
I sell just a little bit of Gerber, Kohler, Amerian Standard and Caroma.

Lakee911

Reaction score
I know... I like the Totos ... but if you see my thread over in plumbing about the sewer repair you'd know that I can no longer afford a Toto!

Maybe Terry will ship me a complementary model as a generous gift. :D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Speaking of TOTO,
I don't think they are that much to begin with.
The fact that they work well, have excellent quality control, easy to find parts, and are leaders in the industry, all this means less work in the future for plumbers and homeowners.
Since time is money, the savings just keep coming.

Good luck with your project.
It does look like you are sinking a lot of money into a deep pit.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks