American Standard Smart Valve runs

Users who are viewing this thread

totvos

Reaction score
I came across a number of posts on the "old" version of this site while Googling my hissing American Standard toilet. Since you cannot post to those threads anymore, I am posting this message as an update to future readers with the same problem.

I did a screen-cleaning procedure the other day per the maintenance instructions, and ever since, the toilet keeps hissing. That internal rubber seal with the thin little flap on it is SO temper-MENTAL. No amount of tweaking the cap and seals seems to fix the problem.

Anyhow, if you call American Standard, they will ship you a new Smart Valve free of charge, no questions asked. Evidentally this is an ongoing headache for them, so if you want to defer replacing the valve with a FluidMaster, you can get a free one that should work (for a while). Both the US and Canadian support people were willing to do this (I am in Canada).

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"smart" valve?

Why would you even want to bother putting another one in? Eventually you will have to replace it with a 400A, so why not do it right now?

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

But why would you want to? Call, wait, install a valve that may last only a day or maybe not work at all?????
My personal opinion is that it is silly (well actually I wanted to use a stronger word that this, but didn't) to keep replacing a poorly designed valve when a Fluidmaster 400A is so inexpensive.
Deb
The Pipewench

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
replacment word

Asinine might have been a good subtitution, but maybe a grandmother has to be more gentile, or politically correct, than a grandfather.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks