American Standard Single Lever drip behind cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

leakmaster

Reaction score
Someone please help, Im gonna be long winded to explain what I have done and ask what needs to be corrected. Approx. 3 weeks ago had a tub spout drip that turned rather steady. (second floor) With this I replaced the cartridge first., still leaking, then the pressure valve and it stopped. (greased all o-rings) All good!!...Then last night noticed a steady water drip below the shower in my unfinished laundry room while my boy was showering. With a light i saw it dripping from inside the wall behind the handle/cartridge connection. Turned water off took trim kit off and cartridge to inspect the seals., looks good re-grease put back turn water on - no leaks... as soon as I pull lever to turn on shower the leak starts again from behind the cartridge. If I pull shower diverter and put water to shower head it leaks even faster. Did this without the trim on to see if i can see where its coming from., looks to be from where the cartridge meets the pressure valve. So then out of curiosity I turned the main off took the cartridge off and then put the main on, water seems to be coming out of the valve H/C with no problem and there did not seem to be any leaks from the housing or the pressure valve. Then turned main off again put cartridge back and turned main on again and again a steady drip ONLY when the lever is pulled to feed water to the shower.. There is NO leak while the handle is in off position. So questions???..could it be the cartridge went that fast? did i tighten it too much installing something and broke something?... Please help., I am reasonably handy but am the king of leaks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

leakmaster

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the tub spout leaking now? Sometime they have an O-Ring seal over 1/2" copper tube that fails.

No., it was coming from back of the cartridge couldnt tell if it was the orings or the seal on the pressure balance valve. Bought new cartridge, still leaking., took out pressure valve re-seated the large o-ring behind the face of it put a wrap of valve packing, greased, re-inserted and so far so good., hope it was okay to add the packing., if it fails, i guess time for a new valve., this one is only 3 weeks old.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- Are you buying original equipment cartridges? after market parts are not a perfect fit sometimes.

- I can't tell you if you installed it incorrectly from your description, but if all else fails, call a pro.

leakmaster

Reaction score
- Are you buying original equipment cartridges? after market parts are not a perfect fit sometimes.

- I can't tell you if you installed it incorrectly from your description, but if all else fails, call a pro.

It's all OEM stuff. it's a pretty simple set up, behind the lever is the cartridge and behind that is the pressure valve which is set in the brass rough in. when I initially replaced the pressure valve that was leaking a few week ago it was an extremely tight fit to remove took much effort. when I bought the replacement it went it MUCH easier., I attributed that ease to possible build up on the old one. It was the correct replacement valve, might have been a bad one. who knows it seems like it should have been a pretty easy fix. I'll see if this one holds up and replace it if needed. an old master plumber friend once told me, if it's not leaking don't touch it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks