American Standard Shower Valve Dripping

Users who are viewing this thread

Herb Fisher

Reaction score
Ok, so at my Moms the cold side of the shower valve is leaking. I have replaced the rubber seat and it is still leaking. Is there something else I need to change? The stem itself seems fine not terribly worn and it is brass with very few parts, I fail to see what could be wrong with that? Anyone offer any advice? 41CCd-nwASL._SY300_.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You terminology might be incorrect. The seats are brass. If you did not replace the brass seats that might be your problem. Also the stem needs to be open before you install it in the valve.

Attachments

• American standard aquseal.jpg
    American standard aquseal.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 346

Asktom

Reaction score
The Model name of your stem is AQUASEAL. The seat thread size is 7/16" X 24 thread and it is 13/32" tall. They are normally found in brass (sometimes chrome plated) but are also available in monel (a type of stainless steel). Here are some part numbers:

American Standard OEM = 862-14
Lasco = X-50
Danco = 20 (&/0r 30019)
Brassccraft = SC0832 (SCB0832 bagged)
Plumbmaster (Perfect Match) = 30019
Partsmaster = 4008
Eastman = 32705
Mat = 817BS

If you look down the hole the stem came out of you will see a hex opening at the very bottom. You will need either the proper sized long allen wrench or a seat wrench to unscrew the seat. Seat wrenches are inexpensive and anyplace that has the seat (a common one) will also have the wrench.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Do not lube the stems as pressure will cause AQUASEALs to leak no matter if the stems and seats are new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks