American Standard Push-Pull Shower Valve Hot Water Flow Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter O

Reaction score
I have a American Standard Push-Pull shower valve which was installed in 1967. I am experiencing a reduced hot water flow rate relative to the cold water rate. I verified that the hot and cold flow rates are identical on the sink faucet in the same bathroom. What is causing this? I have attached a picture of the valve. If I purchase a rebuilding kit would this correct the problem? If so does the kit come with instructions or do I just remove the two screws on the front and then replace all the parts?

Attachments

• Bath_Shower Push Pull Control Expanded.jpg
    Bath_Shower Push Pull Control Expanded.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 914

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you know what kind of pipes you have inside your walls? Your problem could be tied to that. If you have galvanized pipes, that could be the reason for your problem.

Regardless, rebuilding, or better yet replacing the faucet would not be a bad idea.

The two screws are there to hold this rough in tight.

Kits come with instructions, probably printed in China, which is not an English speaking country. Most of the times they are too difficult to follow for the inexperienced.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Peter O

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of pipes you have inside your walls? Your problem could be tied to that. If you have galvanized pipes, that could be the reason for your problem.

Regardless, rebuilding, or better yet replacing the faucet would not be a bad idea.

The two screws are there to hold this rough in tight.

Kits come with instructions, probably printed in China, which is not an English speaking country. Most of the times they are too difficult to follow for the inexperienced.

dj2

The pipes are copper.

I am assuming that once I remove the two screws that the valve will separate. I can then remove the old parts, soak the body in some CLR to remove any scale and then install the new parts. Do you see any difficulty in my approach or am I missing something?

Peter O

Reaction score
Those two screws hold the operating mechanism to the valve body. The mechanism is very simple, so unless the cam has worn on the hot side, there should be nothing obstructing the flow. A rebuilding kit MIGHT cure it, but no way to tell until you try it.

hj,

I located both the rebuilding kit and cam so I will replace everything at the same time and hope that it works.

Mark Scher

Reaction score
HJ: Do you still have the parts from the American Standard Push Pull Shower Valve pictured near the top of this string? I am trying to obtain a valve body (the brass housing in which the push-pull item slides). Please contact me to let me know one way or the other.

msoengineer

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks