American Standard Glenwall vs. 1960 American Standard Norwall toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Shelleyvideo

Reaction score
I currently have a 1960 vintage American Standard Norwall toilet in Manchu YELLOW. That wonderful color will not even come close to working in the new bathroom renovation. I'm looking at a white American Standard Glenwall as a more modern replacement. Does anyone know if the Glenwall bolt configuration will match up with the old Norwall?
Norwall toilet.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If the bolt layout works out, the other stumbling blocks are:
length of the threaded studs
difficulty or impossibility of adjusting the drain flange
One could get lucky but it is often a better choice to replumb either with a replacement, modern carrier, or convert to alternates either back to conventional drain in floor or up built in frame tank in wall type.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Norwal has the standard wall hung specs. I've replaced dozens over the years with a variety of wall hung replacements.
For someone like me that has done them, it's an easy job.

Here is the new American Standard Glenwall, the current version of it.

vormax-wall-hung-terrylove-01.jpg

The Gerber Maxwell

gerber_20_021_zoom_terry.jpg

You do have standard measurements with the Norwall, which will fit anything new.

chalet_28.jpg

mifab_residential_carrier.jpg

Sometimes it's this one bolted to two studs on either side.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My mother had a Norwall, but at least hers was white. I replace it with a Maxwell for the added height.

norwall-wall-hung-green-01.jpg

They have unique seats for the bowls.

The one below was her main bath

norris-wall-hung-terrylove-1.jpg

Later replaced with the pressure assist Glenwall.

glenwall-picture-2.jpg

My sister Trinda Love's art work on the wall.

Last edited:

Shelleyvideo

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent feedback guys! I definitely have the 7 1/2" by 9" stud configuration. Terry......when installing the Glenwall or Maxwell from the Norwall, have you ever had any issues with the stud length being too short? If so, I was wondering if a stud extension, such as this, would work.
Screen Shot 07-26-22 at 03.54 PM.JPG

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bolts from the carrier are long enough most of the time. With the Gerber Maxwell I have used these a time or two.

index.php

When the bolts have been too long, I sometimes double up the 5/8" washers if I'm reusing the capped nuts, or pick up some 5/8" replacement nuts that allow the bolt to thread past.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks