American Standard Champion 4 problem

Users who are viewing this thread

loop1

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Champion 4 round bowl toilet. When flushing I must hold the flush handle down in order to deliver enough water from the tank to clear the bowl of its contents. While I don’t mind doing so, I shouldn’t have to tell guests how to flush a toilet, and with kids it is impossible. Is there any way to get this toilet to work better? (I have the water level in the tank set properly, and there is minimum slack in the chain.) If not, is there on the market a 1.6 gpf, round bowl toilet that works well with an old fashioned lever release that can be activated and let go?

champion_flapper_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

loop1

Reaction score
I thought of replacing the flush mechanism as you suggest but I understand the opening in the bottom of the tank is 4 inches in diameter and the biggest flapper I can find is 3 inches.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a new toilet, and if not, has it ever worked 'right'?

One of the things that can happen to any toilet is for something to be flushed that shouldn't be...a pen, pencil, crayon, toy, hair pin, etc. and all mess with the flush, and may be hard to remove with a toilet auger. ANother is if the toilet is moderately old and you have hard water...if the siphon jet is partially clogged, it won't start the water movement as fast as it needs to be, and it won't flush well. Yet another, is if when setting the toilet, you have the wax slip out of place and partially block the outlet. A toilet flange with a funnel can do the same thing, and anything clogged in the drain can slow the flush. THen, it might just be a crappy toilet! AS is not known for their great QA/QC anymore, especially those sold through big box stores.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I thought of replacing the flush mechanism as you suggest but I understand the opening in the bottom of the tank is 4 inches in diameter and the biggest flapper I can find is 3 inches.

A 3" flush valve fits, but you have to install the entire flush valve, not just the flapper.
The Champion is a large funnel into a 3" hole.

korky-3-flush-valve.jpg

PART NUMBER: 5030
Korky 3" flush valve replacement.
Alternate part number: 5030BP | 5030FH | 5030FR

Last edited:

loop1

Reaction score
Terry--I finally got up my nerve, installed the Korky flush valve you recommended, and it works great. Many thanks for your suggestion, and for the service you provide through this forum.

John Hughes

Reaction score
A 3" flush valve fits, but you have to install the entire flush valve, not just the flapper.
The Champion is a large funnel into a 3" hole.

korky-3-flush-valve.jpg

PART NUMBER: 5030
Korky 3" flush valve replacement.
Alternate part number: 5030BP | 5030FH | 5030FR
I had a Champion 4 Max toilet installed the other day. Love the height, love the size, HATE the flush. I realize it's 1.28 Gal, but the flush is not good. Too bad you can't test them in the store. Ha ha! I phoned American Standard and they said, "That's how it works; nothing you can do." Period. I read your reply about changing to a flapper. It sounds like Loop1 liked the results and I'm sure I could do it, but how much does it improve the flush? In other words, will it flush properly without having to hold the handle down? No point in going to all that trouble if it's not going to make it better. Many thanks. (I realize this is an older post).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 4" into the 3" leaves a lot of water in the tank. One the one-piece Champion 4's it's very hard to get them to flush well.
With then Champion's with the tanks, at least the flush valve can be changed out to the Korky or Fluidmaster 3" versions.
Flappers are adjustable for flotation and thus how water water will pass through.

John Hughes

Reaction score
The 4" into the 3" leaves a lot of water in the tank. One the one-piece Champion 4's it's very hard to get them to flush well.
With then Champion's with the tanks, at least the flush valve can be changed out to the Korky or Fluidmaster 3" versions.
Flappers are adjustable for flotation and thus how water water will pass through.
Thanks. Not quite sure I understand your response. I think you're saying the Champion 4's as designed don't flush well because they leave too much water in the tank, but changing the assembly to the flapper Korky 5030 will improve the flush, as less water stays in tank. Am I right? Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks