American Standard Cadet 3 Three Toilet consumer product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron in SC

Reaction score
For whatever reason this tank could not be tightened as designed. I was able to tighten it so tight that the tank was on the bowl on only one side. I did tighten it incrementally but with no success. I must have tried tightening it a dozen times before I finally said ok that's enough. I returned it to Lowes.

I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The other Cadet 3 that I returned to Lowes lacked glazing on part of the tank that was very visable with the tank cover in place. It also lacked a seat which was to be included. They did give me a seat but like I say I ended up returning it anyway because of the lack of glaze.

The same person handled my eariler retern handled this one too. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.

I think these Cadet 3 toliets are more trouble than they are worth.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion and while there are better toilets the Cadet 3 works well in most cases, but they do have quality control issues.

I don't know if you tried repositioning the tank. If you did it would be odd that it kept ending up tilted to the same side, but if it couldn't be installed right so be it.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I don't know if you tried repositioning the tank.

I did try repositioning the tank, I even put a like softsoap on the gasket hoping that would let it seat itself better but had no success.

I am not a professional and perhaps a professional could have installed it properly.

Edited:
I just went ahead and bought a Toto Drake and installed it with little effort.

Last edited:

Diprivanrn

Reaction score
quality control in AS toilets

This is second hand information, but my contractor went to a expo where american standard was demonstrating toilets. In the conversation, he asked if there was any difference between the toilets sold in the large big box stores (Lowes/Home depot). He said that there is a difference... the quality control specifications/tolerances are a little bit looser when they are sold to these stores because of pricing issues. As I understand the thickness of porecelin/finishing specifications/level is a little looser. The toilets sent to plumbing wholesalers tend to be a little better. I was actually amazed that an AS rep admitted this- but it makes sense that the factory would release a model that was not up to normal standards and a little off to a large retailer for a cheaper price- I guess this would be higher end seconds...

Achutch

Reaction score
Reply to quality control in AS toilets & achutch's review of the Cadet 3

I am not totally surprised that the big box stores are selling factory seconds.

My Cadet 3 came from a big box store. I have no problem with its performance, but there were some quality issues with several of the bowls, and it took the opening of several boxes until I found one that was acceptable.

(There is no question that Toto is the best. I have a Drake and love it. Would have loved to have tried an Aquia or Soiree. I have only seen 3 Toto toilets set up: my own, one in the plumbing supply house where I purchased my Drake, and one several years ago in a restroom, pre G-Max. We do not have many Toto dealers in Vermont.

But I purchased the Cadet 3 simply to save some money to allow for some other work in the bathroom, much of it involving paint and decorating. I bought it with full knowledge from this forum that there could be some issues. You were right!!

In my case, the tank, made in Mexico, was flawless.

The bowls, all made in the US, had quality issues.

The first bowl rocked because of a slight projection on the bottom between the horn and the front part of the base that hadn't been trimmed, UNACCEPTABLE. That one was returned.

The second bowl didn't rock and the projection was trimmed out. However, there was a gross imperfection of a seam inside the bowl at the bottom where the water goes out which had been permanently stained blue (fired in), UNACCEPTABLE. So in late afternoon during rush hour, it got returned. I, now quite cross, informed the person at the return desk that I expected a rep from the plumbing department to meet with me, and together we would inspect every Cadet 3 bowl until I found one that was acceptable.

After looking at another bowl and finding a flaw in the glazing in the same area as bowl #2, the plumbing rep brought down a pallet of Cadet 3 bowls. Luckily, the first box he opened contained an acceptable bowl, though not flawless. Bowl #4 was brought home, is now up and running, and to its credit, it works well.

Late last year, I helped my neighbor install a round bowl version of the Cadet 3, and in January, installed an ADA height model (like mine) for my father. There were no issues with either, and I've received rave reviews from both Dad and neighbor.

So I guess it's hit or miss with the Cadet 3, and I can understand why professionals such as Terry, Redwood, Hj, etc. cannot risk the loss of time, money, or reputation on a product that is lacking in quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron in SC

Reaction score
So I guess it's hit or miss with the Cadet 3,

I'm not a professional but I'm not willing to deal with stuff that involves this much trouble. I initially got a Cadet 3 because I thought it was a toliet that functioned pretty good at a lower price than a Toto.

Lancejackson

Reaction score
Problems With My A.s. Cadet 3

HI,
I read your positive reviews of the Cadet 3, but I had one (cadet 3 elongated right height) installed in my condo a week ago by a plumber. I am very disappointed with it for 2 reasons:

1) About 3 out of 4 times, when I flush, a few drops of water from the bowl land up on the seat. I have tried adjusting the water level in the tank but nothing seems to help. I find this disgusting. I would imagine it happens to a lot of people, but who takes the time to look carefully enough at the seat after flushing - other than me? :mad:

2) The seat does not fully cover the front of the bowl. There's about 1cm of uncovered rim where drops of urine are sure to land. This is amazing to me. Isn't that the purpose of a seat? :confused:

I can't stand the thought of having to replace the toilet yet again. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to stop the water splashing onto the seat?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Lance

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet 3 does splash water onto the bottom of the seat,
or if you are sitting, then yes, the bottom.

A lot of Cadet 3 fans don't mind the wet butt.
Either that, or they have never flushed while sitting down.

Lancejackson

Reaction score
The Cadet 3 does splash water onto the bottom of the seat,
or if you are sitting, then yes, the bottom.

A lot of Cadet 3 fans don't mind the wet butt.
Either that, or they have never flushed while sitting down.

That's crazy. I don't understand how that's normal??
By the way - I said it splashes onto the seat - on top of the seat - not under the seat. But it's a short distance to go from the bottom to the top of the seat. Do all toilets do this? Is there any reasonably priced one that doesn't splash?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, not all toilets do that. Some are just designed better than others, or even if it should work fine, quality control and manufacturing tolerances aren't tight. The most recommended toilet here is probably the Toto Drake. It comes in various configurations, round, elongated, normal, ADA height, etc. etc.. They all seem to work well (I put two into my mother's house).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It does not happen with my Round bowl version and I am completely crazy about water anywhere, so yes I do notice these things (I wipe my bath and basin after using them). Other problems I have had (urine under the seat) were related to the original seat I bought for the Cadet 3 (a cheap one). I have since upgraded to a Toto softclose seat and everything works fine.

Achutch

Reaction score
No splashes at The Hutch

My Cadet 3 Right Height toilet, which is getting far more use than I originally expected, does not splash at all. The Bemis seat which can be removed (unlocked) easily for cleaning, fits perfectly.

So far, there have been no performance issues with this toilet, and until there are, I will continue to be satisfied with my choice.

achutch

1-Matt's half bath as seen from kitchen.jpg
8-American Standard Cadet 3 toilet and new paper holder.jpg

Lancejackson

Reaction score
Thanks again for your replies. Call me skeptical but I would bet that if you did a bit of a test you would find otherwise. The flush is so powerful that it simply has to splash and I do not believe that this problem can be limited to a few cadet 3s. Or perhaps the shape of the bowl does make a difference - interesting scientific experiment. Achutch - is your elongated (sorry can't see the pic right now).
Do me a favor. On 10 different occasions on a few different days - some with a lot of toilet paper and some with a little - carefully look on top of the seat with a flashlight to see if there are any water droplets. You would be surprised how difficult it is to see a drop unless the light hits it correctly.
thanks.

Maybe I need to find an extra high seat - any recommendations?
That's another thing that bothers me about the cadet 3. The seat it comes with doesn't even cover the front of the rim of the bowl - there's about 1cm of rim showing. who wants to sit on pee.

Fit

Reaction score
OK- so based on your last comment I sat on my new Cadet three this morning and flushed 10 times.

Aside from the egregious waste of water for the sake of science :D my bum remained high and dry. Nary a drop.

I've the right-height elongated bowl with the compact/10" rough tank.

Achutch

Reaction score
No splashes & seat fits

Hello Lance J,

If you say that your Cadet 3 splashes, then it splashes. I would not dispute the observations of an owner and actual user.

Since there are variations from bowl to bowl (read my note above about the two bowls I returned to the store because they were defective), I'm wondering if the holes in the rim of your bowl are cut in such a way that will cause a splash. I took a hand mirror and looked under the rim and found the holes are all different sizes and cut more roughly as compared to the rim of my Toto Drake in the other bathroom.

I did a one flush experiment with nothing added to the bowl and felt no splashes. This toilet has been in place for over a month and never once have I seen water on the seat (or underneath) after a flush. But, over the coming week, I'll try with paper, etc. and report back if I feel a splash.

As for the seat, mine fits perfectly. The front slightly overlaps the bowl, and there is plenty of space from where you sit to the rim. It's a Bemis wooden seat for elongated bowls. I did not get the complete toilet in a box that came with the plastic seat labeled American Standard as I got for my father back in January.

Cadet 3 is elongated, "comfort" or "right height". Here are a few pictures. I had an awful time getting good light for autofocus and was lying on the floor to get a closeup. The toilet looks like it's tipped up, but I assure you it is not. You can see that the seat slightly overlaps. Also there's a shot of the open seat to show no exposed rim in the bowl.

Cadet 3 002.jpg
Cadet 3 003.jpg
Cadet 3 004.jpg

Achutch

Reaction score
Indeed it is, Ian, and its perfomance is first rate, and for me performance is what matters most.

The Cadet 3 replaced a 1930's 7-gallon gusher that I was rarely using since my water & sewer rates went up. I'll need about a year to be able to compare my water usage, which even until the Cadet 3 had been greatly reduced by the Drake upstairs and the LG front loader washer. (And the town raised the rates due to fact that less water is being sold -- cheapskates!!).

Also, no splashes so far.

achutch

Lancejackson

Reaction score
Achutch - thanks a lot for all your trouble. You certainly go the distance.

My cadet 3 definitely splashes - no doubt about it. wish there were something i could do other than replacing it - such a pain in the ass.

the seat I have that doesn't fit came with the toilet. I'm going to have to look into another one.
you said your seat is "wood"? what does that mean - is it actually wood?

Grading the best toilets, the ones that work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Achutch

Reaction score
Lance,

There must be some imperfection with one or more of the water ports underneath the rim to make it splash as it does. If you decide to replace the bowl, make sure you inspect it before you leave the store.

Take a hand mirror and inspect underneath the rim especially where you see the splash coming from. You might want to watch a flush through the mirror to see which ports are causing the spray or splash.

The Cadet 3 Right Height that I got for my Dad came all in one box, with a plastic American Standard seat. That seat is nothing I would have picked for myself, but I seem to recall that it fit OK.

My Bemis seat is made of compressed wood (you may as well say sawdust mixed with some sort of adhesive) as most of the non plastic seats are. It's nothing fancy, inexpensive ($11.74 at HD), plain white, but like its Bemis plastic soft-close counterpart on the Toto upstairs, it unlocks and lifts off the bolts to allow for easier cleaning.

The compressed wood seats don't last forever, and if they crack when you're seated, they make one hell of a noise (somewhat like a gunshot), certainly an attention grabber, especially when getting ready for work in the morning!

I still have the box that the elongated seat came in, but I put the Bemis round front seat from the old toilet in it and brought it down to my summer cabin (antique round front toilets there) which I am in the process of getting ready to open and move to on May 1. I'll be going down there again tomorrow with another load of "stuff" and will get the model number of the seat for you.

Hope this helps.

Achutch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks