American Standard Aquaseal, Need parts help--shower valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Hi everyone-
I am new to 3 valve shower valve repair and can't figure out what I have here. I have a drip from the faucet when off so I'm thinking worn washer or seat. When I took it apart, I didn't find any washers--some kind of metal-on-metal seating system. On the hot side, I was able to remove what is shown in the photos. On the cold side, only the outer ring with the hex flats came out. The rest of the valve is stuck in the body. Maybe I can yank it out, but just jiggled it a bit for now because I needed to turn the water back on. Does anyone recognize these parts? Can this be repaired? Looks like a special tool might be needed to remove the "seat" part if it's repairable.
Thank you.

IMG_4367.jpg IMG_4366.jpg IMG_4365.jpg IMG_4364.jpg

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Actually it looks like it could be the american standard aquaseal stem but it has fallen apart. How do I get it out? a pick?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is American Standard Aquaseal. The stem assembly is 72950-17, Retainer nut is 855-17 and the seat is 862-14. The old washer and metal ring will need to be removed. A o-ring pick is probably best.
upload_2021-3-23_6-4-49.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-23_6-0-44.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-23_6-0-44.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 205
  • upload_2021-3-23_6-2-30.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-23_6-2-30.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 196
  • upload_2021-3-23_6-3-51.jpeg
    upload_2021-3-23_6-3-51.jpeg
    3.5 KB · Views: 186

Crosstalk

Reaction score
I replaced the stems and everything is working great. I didn't order the seats, but they don't look so great. How risky is it to try to remove the old seats? Are they going to difficult to turn out or better left alone since I don't have a drip? Looks like a 1/4" allen needed.

There is a drip coming out of the faucet when the shower is on. Is this normal or should I replace the diverter stem also?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks