American Standard Amarilis Shower Valve Cover/Ring Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering how to remove the valve cover/ring - not sure that's the right name - on this AS Amarilis Series Shower Hot/Cold water handles. (This is a three handle shower.)

Please look at the yellow highlighted ring. It has outer and inner thread, but no real way to undo it. The valve cover/sleeve attaches to this ring - on the inner threat - to then secure the escutcheon to the shower wall.

IMG_5723.jpg

I need to remove it to be able to access the shower cartridge behind it to be able to swap it as it is leaking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it!

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. Yes, I saw that parts diagram on one of his posts. I think it is a different model from the one that I have. I actually just posted the model that I think I have and the parts for it.

It seems like the escutcheon support kit back part, highlighted in yellow on the manual page I just posted, has two parts. The sleeve and some sort of a ring on its base. They are screwed into each other - sleeve into inner ring of base. The thing is that the sleeve seems to have come lose or undone from the base and I have no way to get the base to screw out of the valve assembly.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of special tool for it or some way to unscrew that ring part out?

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score
Hi Marlinman! Thank you for your time.

69385471814__EFB7E591-AA1B-45D0-801B-7F8D9D19E393.jpg

Pic assembled...

IMG_5740.jpg

Escutcheon support "sleeve" - this is the part that screws onto the ring in the valve...

IMG_5742.jpg

Escutcheon support disassembled placement order from right to left into the valve. Again, right most sleeve is the part that screws into the ring in the valve. Ring which at the same time screws into the valve. As per the diagram, seems like it is one piece - but it is two.

IMG_5741.jpg

In assembly order... From right to left... In the valve we have left the ring in question and finally the cartridge....

Please let me know if there is something else I can take a picture of.

Thank you so much for your help!

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score
IMG_5744.jpg

This is another picture of the actual ring - which is supposed to be part of the escutcheon support valve according to the diagram - a bit more detailed for you and a little different angle.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found a new A/S Amarilis rough valve and decided to disassemble it. I had the same results as you. The back retainer nut they show as the "Escutcheon Support Kit" is actually 2 pieces that are not supposed seperate. Due to the age the acrylic adhesive has failed. At this time I am trying to reconnect with JB Weld epoxy to reconect these pieces back into 1 piece. The large female thread the support nut needs to travel does need to be clean. I will not be able to revisit this until next Tuesday.

Attachments

• IMG_9785.JPG
    IMG_9785.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9786.JPG
    IMG_9786.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9787.JPG
    IMG_9787.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9788.JPG
    IMG_9788.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9789.JPG
    IMG_9789.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9792.JPG
    IMG_9792.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9793.JPG
    IMG_9793.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9794.JPG
    IMG_9794.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9795.JPG
    IMG_9795.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9797.JPG
    IMG_9797.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 80

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found a new A/S Amarilis rough valve and decided to disassemble it. I had the same results as you. The back retainer nut they show as the "Escutcheon Support Kit" is actually 2 pieces that are not supposed seperate. Due to the age the acrylic adhesive has failed. At this time I am trying to reconnect with JB Weld epoxy to reconect these pieces back into 1 piece. The large female thread the support nut needs to travel does need to be clean. I will not be able to revisit this until next Tuesday.

Amazing work Marlinman. You really go above and beyond . Happy New Year's.

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score

This makes 100% sense... Please let me know, after Tuesday, how well does it hold with the JB-Weld. And most importantly does it hold strongly enough to then travel back out?

Left you a small contribution for your time and effort on this. Again, thank you so much!

Happy New Year!

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The JB Weld held on extracting the retainer portion that had separated. I started with the 13/16 socket on a ratchet but it seemed to pull the retainer to one side. I changed to a Tap handle and 3/8 square stock into the socket and it came out much easier. Once removed a 3/4 socket removed the cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG_9803.jpg
    IMG_9803.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9804 (1).JPG
    IMG_9804 (1).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9805.jpg
    IMG_9805.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9806.jpg
    IMG_9806.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9807.jpg
    IMG_9807.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_9808.jpg
    IMG_9808.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 71

Pepitumbrunom

Reaction score
The JB Weld held on extracting the retainer portion that had separated. I started with the 13/16 socket on a ratchet but it seemed to pull the retainer to one side. I changed to a Tap handle and 3/8 square stock into the socket and it came out much easier. Once removed a 3/4 socket removed the cartridge.

Thank you so much! I had no luck using a 13/16 square cube. The valve piece had a little crack due to my trying to use preassure pliers prior to seeking a 13/16 square cube and before posting here.

When enough torque was applied, after welded, the valve top part gave and now I have a crack on the square part of the sleeve valve and the little piece is missing. End result, I now slip when applying torque. The weld help for sure though! I'm going to have to replace the whole shower assembly on this one, I think.

But at least this will help me in one last bathroom that still has the AS Amarilis Series on it - when it comes time to replacing the cartridges.

Thank you so much for all your help on this matter. For those with an AS Amarilis Series Shower, you will see this problem and the solution is the one that Marlinman has outlined in great detail!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks