American Standard 4370A leaking into bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Aliusa

Reaction score
I have an AS 4370A that has been leaking slowly into the bowl filling up cesspool... Grr... I used food coloring to determine the leak. A trick a plumber taught me.

Everything looks secure visually. I'm attaching pictures.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

PXL_20211021_024038231.jpg
PXL_20211021_023808354.jpg

https://ibb.co/4ZZQPRF
https://ibb.co/G2cTMKJ

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It looks like the water level is getting above the overflow tube. Either the flush valve needs an adjustment to lower the water level or the valve seal is not fully closing the valve, therefore, water weeps over the overflow tube. The seal is a very easy to replace, they can last a few years or forever. The only other place is the flappers but you'll hear the water run every so often. If the water level drops because of the flapper leak, the float drops, turns on the water, fills and then stops. If you don't have this then it is a valve seal.

fluidmaster-242-fill-valve-seal.jpg

Aliusa

Reaction score
Thanks! I let the water fill up and didn't notice it go beyond the overflow. I did notice some bubbles forming around the flapper. If the leak around the flapper is slow I might have missed the water running to fill up the tank. When I dropped the food color in the tank the water level wasnt high but the color showed up on the bowl within a minute.

Reach4

Reaction score
Complex flapper system.

I was going to suggest you turn off the supply stop at the wall, and then what happens to the water level overnight. That still could be useful. Does the water stop dropping at the level of the flapper-valveseat meeting? Is one flapper higher than the other? Does the water continue to fall below the flappers?

But then you did the food color post. Surprised me.

When I dropped the food color in the tank the water level wasnt high but the color showed up on the bowl within a minute.
You turned off the water supply and flushed, and that is why the water level was not high?

So let the water be fairly low and be calm. Then drop a drop of food color equidistant between the two flappers. Can you see the food color flow toward one of the flappers?

Also, I think one flapper is for the siphon jet and the other is for the rim holes. When food color enters the bowl, can you tell which path?

Aliusa

Reaction score
When I dropped food color I didn't shut of the water but the water was below the overfill.

Are you suggesting shutting the valve, flush, and then add the water color in the remaining water in the tank and note where it's coming out in the bowl?

The flapper is complex. I was expecting just one flapper :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Test 1. Shut off the valve. What happens to the water level in an hour or overnight? It is not clear to me if your tank leaks water near the top of the overflow, or leaks from one of the flappers.

Are you suggesting shutting the valve, flush, and then add the water color in the remaining water in the tank and note where it's coming out in the bowl?
Test 2, only if the water drops to more than an inch below the overflow:
I am suggesting shutting the valve, flush, and then drop food color a couple places. Don't mix it up. Look for a streak where a current is carrying water. Follow the streak, and you will see the leak.

food-color-in-water.jpg

Aliusa

Reaction score
Soooo....

Test 1: check if the water level drops or rises. Result: no visible change after 12 hours

Test 2: drop food color. Result: One small spec appeared bowl. This is a lot less than the first time I did this test.

Maybe me fidgeting around with the flapper made it seal better? I dunno but I'm worried after a few flushes the flapper wont be sealing as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Test 1: check if the water level drops or rises. Result: no visible change after 12 hours
That test says the problem is what WorthFlorida indicated, and that you should turn the fill height down a tad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks