Amer. Stand. Americast versus Kohler Archer? Floor loading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace an existing fiberglass tub/shower unit in the main bath with an alcove bathtub, tiling above the tub. I like the looks of Kohler's Archer model, but I've heard the acrylic tubs are somewhat flimsy compared to other materials. What do the pros think about the American Standard Americast line (specifically the Cambridge "bathing pool")?

The majority of the time the tub will be used for showering, with a very infrequent bath.

Do I need to concern myself with floor loading due to the additional weight of the Americast? The house is circa 1990 construction, 2x10 floor joists 16" oc, approx 14 foot span, no noticeable bounce or spring in the floor when walking through the room.

Any other gotchas of which I should be aware? Should the Americast tub be set in a mortar bed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks