Am I using 12/3 cable from a switch to an outlet correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Leadbenny

Reaction score
I'm installing a hardwired towel warmer and I thought I would include an outlet on the same cable because the towel warmer needs a junction box anyway. Can I run a 12/3 with both black/red hot, black attached to the switch, to the outlet connected to red, and continue the black to the towel warmer with all neutrals and grounds connected? It's 20 amp protected by a GFCI outlet upstream. See diagram for clarity:

EDIT: the circuit is connected to a GFCI outlet upstream of the switch

12:3 wiring.jpeg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The way you've drawn the diagram is correct. I would think it would be more typical to use red for the "switched hot" and black for the "constant hot", to match the colors in a typical 12/2 feed. But it doesn't matter.

Note that the outlet box and the switch box will each need to have a volume of at least 8 * 2.25 = 18 in^3.

Cheers, Wayne

Leadbenny

Reaction score
Thanks for info.

Oof on the box size. I don't think I can even get a 3 1/2 inch deep box where I am.... I'm only finding 3"..... Also, going off the calculations here my outlet box has 10 "wires" (2 black, 2 white, 1 ground, 1 red, 2 for device, 2 for clamps). I'm prepared to get a 3 inch box, but I don't think I can really do anything else beyond that.....

Afjes

Reaction score
I would do a bit more research first before you install a regular receptacle. You may have to rethink this but consider the towel warmer is metal, if for any reason the body becomes electrified you now have this energized large piece of metal in a small room with a lot of water and dampness which will accumulate on the towel warmer. I would highly consider putting a gFCI prior to the towel warmer to protect persons from electrocution.

Are you sure the towel warmer does not include with its installation instructions to use GFCI protection. Since you will be usin a MWBC you may want to consider using a 2 pole GFCI breaker if you can.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 for clamps
I'm of the opinion that the clamp allowance only applies to a box like the one below, which is a standard metal box (standard volume per the NEC table) that has internal metal clamps. The molded plastic boxes with clamps cast into them, the listed volume already includes the effect of the clamp.

Edit: I see now you're in Canada, so I'm not familiar with whether the rules for the CEC are different.

Cheers, Wayne

Leadbenny

Reaction score
I would do a bit more research first before you install a regular receptacle. You may have to rethink this but consider the towel warmer is metal, if for any reason the body becomes electrified you now have this energized large piece of metal in a small room with a lot of water and dampness which will accumulate on the towel warmer. I would highly consider putting a gFCI prior to the towel warmer to protect persons from electrocution.

Are you sure the towel warmer does not include with its installation instructions to use GFCI protection. Since you will be usin a MWBC you may want to consider using a 2 pole GFCI breaker if you can.
Thanks for your concern. Yes the instructions to say to have a gfci protected circuit. The circuit will be GFCI protected upstream via a 20 amp gfci outlet before entering the switch box.

Leadbenny

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the clamp allowance only applies to a box like the one below, which is a standard metal box (standard volume per the NEC table) that has internal metal clamps. The molded plastic boxes with clamps cast into them, the listed volume already includes the effect of the clamp.

Edit: I see now you're in Canada, so I'm not familiar with whether the rules for the CEC are different.

Cheers, Wayne
The internal clamps sit basically flush within the box.....I'm not totally sure how they're factored in calculations in Canada, but I'm going with a 3" box.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Why switch the outlet? Still run a shaver not hair drier. Towel bar will take more than a few minutes to heat up a towel. Make sure gfi is rated for 20 amps.
2000watts/ 120/volts = 17 amps

Afjes

Reaction score
Fitter30
The outlet (receptacle) is not being switched. It has a constant hot from the MWBC power in which is in this diagram the red wire.
Power in feeds the switch and the receptacle at the same time.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you will be usin a MWBC you may want to consider using a 2 pole GFCI breaker if you can.
The OP doesn't show an MWBC, it's just a supply with both constant power and switched power, in phase with each other.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks