Am I Screwed? Existing Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

DannoSpeaks

Reaction score
First of all, obligatory pic: https://imgur.com/a/SZZQm
Red = Drains, Blue = vents, I think: https://imgur.com/a/bHTPi

So I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I'm a decent carpenter, electrician (my dad is licensed) and pretty handy overall. The one thing I'm proficient at but not well versed in code is plumbing. No big issue I'm thinking, because I'm just tying my new tub into the existing plumbing system. I installed my tub a few days ago, and tonight cemented in the new drain. Just before installing the overflow on the tub, I was thinking that something doesn't look right. It turns out, the previous owner placed the vent ahead of the trap. No big deal, I thought, but when researching the code for tub venting, I learned that there may also be an issue with the horizontal pipe that is also attached to the vertical vent, in that it is explicitly not allowed by code.

Fellas, I already pulled a plumbing permit. What can I do here? My first thought was to install a 45 off the horizontal drain (left side) behind the trap and route a new vent pipe up to the vertical vent and tap in (higher than the full tub water elevation). Then, cut out the horizontal vent (right side), cap everything, and then after inspection somehow install the old horizontal vent line back in.

Any thoughts? I'm feeling pretty screwed right now. I've contacted a plumber already, but I'm shuddering at the cost of this repair, plus I've made everything more difficult by installing the new tub. Ugh.

Last edited:

DannoSpeaks

Reaction score
20171206_182322.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks