Alternatives to Grundfos Comfort Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
I installed the Grundfos UP15-10SU7P/TLC Comfort Series 1/25 HP Recirculator Pump in my home a few years ago. It has run effectively for about 3 years until its comfort valve got stuck in open early this month (continuous hot water from the cold tap). Looking to replace this valve (~$60), I see that some users have had it break even sooner so it seems it may have a continuous-run life of about a year. The pump still works fine.
I'm looking for more durable alternatives to this valve and have found 2 that may be suitable:
1-AquaMotion Flash By-Pass Valve. I have installed it as a replacement for the Grundfos comfort valve but do not find it to work (no hot water) and am concerned about developing a leak in my plumbing or pipe burst if this valve remains closed. No functional specifications are available from the manufacturer. They say that it works with their pump only. [How does a valve know the brand of the pump at the hot water tank?]
2- AquaMotion AMK-ODR Valve Kit. Page 5 of this brochure (No technical documentation publicly available)
upload_2019-2-1_16-9-4.png
upload_2019-2-1_16-32-52.png

3- ThermOmegaTech CircuitSolver.

Any thought?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's nothing more than a check valve and perhaps the old one stuck open because of mineral deposits. Get the old one and soak it in vinegar.

This AMK unit, are you sure you installed in the right direction? It's so simple how is it you're not getting hot water? With the hot water valve open you're pulling and mixing cold water, therefore, the ODR valve is in backwards. Pump wise it makes no difference.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
It's nothing more than a check valve and perhaps the old one stuck open because of mineral deposits. Get the old one and soak it in vinegar.
I can surely try that.

This AMK unit, are you sure you installed in the right direction? It's so simple how is it you're not getting hot water? With the hot water valve open you're pulling and mixing cold water, therefore, the ODR valve is in backwards. Pump wise it makes no difference.

I also thought pump wise it won't make a difference but the manufacturer says it only works with their pump. My understanding is that the valve is normally open for re-circulation until a set temperature is reached and then it almost closes. Is there a risk of too much pressure buildup in the plumbing lines if the valve does not open?
I have installed the Aqua-Flash valve, not the ODR valve. I followed the installation instructions. (photo attached).[/QUOTE]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks