Alternatives to chlorine and mixing tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eduardo Correa

Reaction score
Hello all, about 8 years ago this forum was super helpful in getting me to design and install a water treatment system for my well water house. The weakest link has been the chlorine feeder and mixing tank. Ive gone through 2 feeders, countless parts for each feeder, and the mixing tank has leaked at the top and condensation at the bottom. Im about done with this and looking for alternative ways to treat my water for the sulfur smell as well as disinfect the water of any possible bacteria. My carbon filter and water softner systems still work fine, ive added a spin down filter right after the pressure tank to filter out the heavy silt. So whats a reliable, easy to maintain, yet effective way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is your feeder a pellet feeder?

Reach4

Reaction score
No, it’s actually a Steiner liquid pump. Have been considering getting a UV system, wondering if they actually are effective
UV system is effective against organisms, but you have to have a 5 micron cartridge filter before it. Otherwise the bugs can hide in the shadow. So if you installed the UV filter, and then sanitized your WH and other plumbing, you would not get SRB generating H2S in the WH. However I don't think that the UV will remove H2S that is already in the water.

I also don't know if there is an automatic valve to shut down flow during a power outage. Would there be a significant flow if the power was off for a few seconds? There could be if the UV was after the pressure tank. And usually you don't want a 5 micron filter before the pressure tank.

I also don't know if that 5 micron filter needs to be an absolute 5 micron filter, or the common 5 micron filter.

Last edited:

Adorsett

Reaction score
I switched from chlorine to Hydrogen Peroxide and have been extremely happy with the results and the H2S is completely gone. I'm using a Stenner Econ pump and just buy the Neutra Sul 2.5 gallon jugs. My installer took apart the jug cap to keep the clear insert, drilled a hole through it to pass the tubing and I just shove the suction weight and tube in the opening of the jug and screw the clear insert back on top of the jug to close it up. I did go install an Enpress One Carbon Block filter post Peroxide injection to remove the excess peroxide as it requires little contact time versus chlorine. We notice when the peroxide tank is empty just by the change in the water smell while showering. I change the jugs about every 90 or so days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks