Alternative to permanent Sump Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

BigRob_NH

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks,
We recently had 2 weeks where we got something like a total of 14" of rain. Record flooding and whatnot.
My home is basically on top of a hill and has a french drain/drain tiles around the base of the foundation that drains out to the curb. At the final peak of the rainstorm, it was raining so hard it sounded like a someone was blasting our roof with a fire hose.
Anyhow, this huge last gasp seems to have overwhelmed my french drain system. There is a green 4" pvc pipe that sticks up through my basement slab by about 4 inches. Below the slab it takes a 90 degree turn and heads off under the floor. I am *assuming* that this joins up with my drain tiles. As a result of the rain, I got water backing up through that pipe all over my basement floor. The level immediately dropped to about an inch from the top of that pipe and has been *slowly* receding ever since.
Of course, every crack in my floor is stained now as water seeps up through all the cracks so there is obviously water right under my slab.
In the 15 years I've lived here, I've had no issues whatsoever but I need to do something to get the water out from under my basement slab. Is there some alternative to installing a permanent sump pit/pump that I can try? Some sort of in-line pump affair where I can hook a hose up, feed it down that PVC pipe, then hook another hose up and pump it to the outside world.
On a slightly different angle, would it make sense to have a plumber come out and feed a camera down and into this drain to look for obstructions and, if found, jet them out?

Regards,
Rob.

Thassler

Reaction score
Is water coming out of the end of the pipe at the curb? It sounds as if the french drains are unable to gravity drain.

Thassler

Reaction score
Not sure about that product; if it would work or not. I would probably call someone (plumber maybe) that had access to a commercial drain pipe auger. If that pipe is restricted, that is your problem. The french drains are just holding the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks