Alternative for hose bib vacuum breaker noise

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYER39

Reaction score
I recently installed hose bib vacuum breakers that I bought from my local home improvement store for $5. They create a ton of noise in the pipes when using the spray nozzles. It even sounds like the pipes shake a little inside the wall. I also dont know if that noise causes wear and tear on the pipes since my wife gardens everyday 365 days of the year. After doing my research on google I noticed that this was a fairly common problem with vacuum breakers and relates to the spray nozzle opening and closing constantly. Obviously there is no noise from pipes when water flow stays on or water flow stays off. I would like to keep using the spray nozzles for gardening, washing cars, things like that because it would really be a pain to always have to walk back and forth turning the valve on and off. Can someone please recommend an alternative or let me know if I am doing something wrong. I want to just throw the vacuum breakers in the trash but I worry about my families safety. Ive included a few pictures for reference.

Is there a better alternative that I dont know about? Maybe a different type of backflow device.
Am I just using cheap vacuum breakers?
Is all this pipe noise something that I should just be ignoring and not harmful to pipes? DSC_8878.jpgDSC_8879.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE install hose vacuum breakers every day, and our customers do NOT have that problem, so the obvious answer is that the problem is that particular brand of BFP.

Jet

Reaction score
WE install hose vacuum breakers every day, and our customers do NOT have that problem, so the obvious answer is that the problem is that particular brand of BFP.

Could you provide the manufacturer?
I've run into a similar situation. My original BFP's were rather quiet, but the replacements purchased at a local home center (BFP made by TE-Cheng, model 9500) create a lot of noise. Would appreciate a recommendation. I'd like to avoid the trial and error required to find a reasonable replacement. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks