Allowed length of drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ssingh

Reaction score
Hi ,

I am planning to put a wetbar sink in my basement , but total length of the pipe (from the sink to the drain) is around 9 ft.
Canadian plumbing code mentions the maximum trap arm length of 6ft (2.5.6.3) , so If I add a vent pipe in between , would it be acceptable ?

What I am confused about is the 6ft rule for 1.5 inch ABS , is it the maximum length a pipe can have or maximum length without vent pipe.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally a vent should be located with in 2 feet of the trap and the fixture with in 2 feet of the trap that gives you 4 feet of play

Reach4

Reaction score
The max length rules are going to be for the trap arm, and the trap arm ends at the vent.

There is also a minimum length for a trap arm -- probably 2 x the nominal pipe size. So with 1-1/2, trap arm needs to be at least 3 inches. This was probably not going to come up, but there it is.

AdamBC

Reaction score
Hi ,

I am planning to put a wetbar sink in my basement , but total length of the pipe (from the sink to the drain) is around 9 ft.
Canadian plumbing code mentions the maximum trap arm length of 6ft (2.5.6.3) , so If I add a vent pipe in between , would it be acceptable ?

What I am confused about is the 6ft rule for 1.5 inch ABS , is it the maximum length a pipe can have or maximum length without vent pipe.

You cannot drop more than the diameter of pipe so 1.5 inch pipe can drop no more than 1.5 inches.
1/4 inch per foot.
Basically its to maintain the ability of the vent to prevent the trap from siphoning the water out.

bc code
Length of Trap Arm Forming Part of Sentence 2.5.6.3.(4) Size of Trap Served
1¼ 1.5m
1½ 1.8m
2 2.4m
3 3.6m

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks