All toilets won't flush at times

Users who are viewing this thread

bignut

Reaction score
We recently moved into a relatively new home (built in 2004) that has three toilets, and at any given time one or more of them does not flush properly. They all do the same thing: bowl fills up and drains slowly, solids won't flush. Plunging doesn't seem to do much, neither did having the septic tank pumped out, and we have no other problems with the house. We called a plumber who came out and said the problem was that the toilets were really low quality, and replacing them would do the trick. Does that sound like a likely cause? If not, any ideas on what the problem could be that affects all of our toilets?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
You probably have low-flow toilets installed (1.6 gallons/flush). You could possibly replace the flapper with generic one that will give you a longer flushing action. I would start with one toilet and see if it makes any difference. If not, replacing the toilets would be your next step

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
doh.gif

Am.Std. strikes again!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
American Standard has frequent quality problems and as a result, most of the professionals that frequent this forum do not install them. The majority prefer the Toto brand. This is not to say that you problem is necessarily the toilets' quality, but one would have to at least consider that as a possibility, but the description of your problem makes me think that your main sewer line may have some blockage. If so, it will take a professional with an auger that is large enough to clear the line complete from end to end. In other words, a DIY hand snake is going to do the job. Do not attempt to use chemicals as they not only will not clear a clogged drain, they will create a hazard for the plumber who you will end up calling.

bignut

Reaction score
American Standard has frequent quality problems and as a result, most of the professionals that frequent this forum do not install them. The majority prefer the Toto brand. This is not to say that you problem is necessarily the toilets' quality, but one would have to at least consider that as a possibility, but the description of your problem makes me think that your main sewer line may have some blockage. If so, it will take a professional with an auger that is large enough to clear the line complete from end to end. In other words, a DIY hand snake is going to do the job. Do not attempt to use chemicals as they not only will not clear a clogged drain, they will create a hazard for the plumber who you will end up calling.

So does that mean it is never a good idea to use products like RidX when a toilet is not draining solids properly?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That is correct. I think Gary meant a hand snake won't be sufficient. Which is true for a mainline blockage.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So does that mean it is never a good idea to use products like RidX when a toilet is not draining solids properly?

When we talk of drain cleaning chemicals we are referring to Draino, Liquid Plumber, Clobber, Liquid Fire etc. They all will have no effect on a main line clog or, a toilet clog other thantaking money out of your wallet and making the drain cleaning job more hazardous for the plumber. In addition to that they are corrosive and can damage your pipes and fixtures.

Rid-X is a product alledgedly designed for septic systems to increase the amount of sludge eating bacteria in a septic tank. Seeing as the septic tank naturally produces it's own bacteria it is of no value but it is not harmful either.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I stand corrected, I did mean a hand snake is NOT effective for opening a clogged drain. I sometimes think faster than I type. I believe there is an organic product that is supposed to keep a sewer running freely, but not to open a clogged drain. I believe Terry posted a comment about this product awhile back, but I don't recall the name of it. And, I was referring to the chemical products like Redwood named. All of that said, I have lived in my home for almost 40 years and have never had a clogged sewer and have never used any product or had any cleaning service. It is a city sewer with something around 50 to 60 feet from the house to the city main line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks