Align p-trap with bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc46

Reaction score
Hello,
The new bathtub drain is not in same spot as bathtub taken out, therefore...I need to either move the p-trap over 2.5 inches (14.5 inches from wall, instead of current 17") OR figure out how to adjust PVC bath drain rough in kit to make tub align with p-trap OR something else ?. I hope photos speaks a lot louder than my confusing words lol.

Plumb 1 - Overview of entire alcove
Plumb 2 - Overview of alcove close up
Plumb 3 - rough-in on left (is the common one that I bought and "thought" I needed; on right is the one that was attached.
Plumb 4,5,6,7 - General photos of p-trap
Plumb 8 - Shows center of p-trap at 17" from wall, needs to be at 14.5" (you will notice it Plumb 9)
Plumb 9 - is a dry fit of the bathtub in place, stuck a pipe down bath drain as a reference on where the P-trap needs to be.

Any ideas how to accomplish this? Other than telling me from Plumb 1 - remove entire floor, cut new holes in floor joists 2.5" closer to the wall and replumb the entire drain LOL.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Plumb 1.jpg
    Plumb 1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 314
  • Plumb 2.jpg
    Plumb 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Plumb 3.jpg
    Plumb 3.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Plumb 4.jpg
    Plumb 4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 305
  • Plumb 5.jpg
    Plumb 5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Plumb 6.jpg
    Plumb 6.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Plumb 7.jpg
    Plumb 7.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Plumb 8.jpg
    Plumb 8.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Plumb 9.jpg
    Plumb 9.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 271

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At the floor joist, using a 45 degree elbow might do the trick. Just remember that the trap does not have to be 90 degrees to a wall. It looks like there is a glued coupling at the floor joist so you may have to cut the floor back a little to cut it out and trime the joist a little more for the 45 degree elbow. However, take a look at the chart below. The floor joist notch may be too large so sistering a 2 by below the notch may be needed.

If possible you can remove the glued pipe inside the coupling with this tool or a inside pipe cutter.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman..._Browse_In_Stock-_-302575481-_-313605775-_-N&
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-1-1-4-in-and-Larger-in-PVC-Cutter/1000668193

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.43.25 AM.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is your plan for reconnecting the vent? Is there enough space under the new tub?

Cheers, Wayne

Dohc46

Reaction score
What is your plan for reconnecting the vent? Is there enough space under the new tub?

Cheers, Wayne
Hi Wayne I finally have a dry run fitting of the vent (nothing is glued). What do you think?: 1) HECK no that can't work (feel free to say that if the case). 2) that is inefficient but will work, I guess. 3) I see what your doing an easy suggestion would be to...

Location wise: where I have it running the tub wouldn't be an issue.
Note: the water drain after it hooks a 90, looks like it is going straight to my sink. (that straight section between the tub p-trap and the sink; is where I plan on cutting it to fit that air vent sanitary tee).
Note: I used 45s and sweeping 90s thinking it may be better for having less potential air pockets (just a guess).

Plumb 11 - overview of entire air vent idea.
Plumb 12 - close up of where I would cut into the water line
Plumb 13 - close up of where I would reconnect to the air vent going to the roof.

Thank you, Brian.

Attachments

• Plumb 11.jpg
    Plumb 11.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Plumb 12.jpg
    Plumb 12.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Plumb 13.jpg
    Plumb 13.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 261

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The issue is that you have the vent going horizontal below the flood rim of the bathtub. That might be allowed under the UPC (there's an exception for structural obstructions), so it would work. But it's not allowed under the IPC, which wants you to use wet venting instead if necessary, or figure out how to keep the vent vertical (which includes up to 45 degree off plumb). And Ohio uses the IPC.

For the latter, your best chance at doing that, assuming you could repair and rebore that joist, would be as follows: Turn your tub u-bend so the outlet of the u-bend is towards the back wall with the vent (or possibly a bit more to the right if necessary for the next part). Turn the tub trap outlet elbow so the outlet is parallel to the back wall. Add a combo (or rather san-tee on its back, as the IPC allows that for venting and it would fit better), with the top inlet rotate 45 degrees off plumb towards the back wall. That's your vent takeoff; you could put a LT90 (possibly street) right after it to go through the joist and hook up with your existing drain.

The question with the above is whether that would get the vent takeoff close enough to the wall that it could continue to rise at a 45 degree off plumb angle to meet up with your existing vent, without hitting the bathtub. It's not clear to me if it would, but it would be best bet at getting everything to fit with a dry vent that doesn't go horizontal below the tub flood rim.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks