Alcove tub rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

dupree495

Reaction score
I just tore out the old whirlpool tub and want to replace it with a soaker tub. The old tub was installed very poorly, as they used a Spurlin Industries drop in model without a tile flange as a shower/tub combination. I purchased a cheap Spurlin Industries NF 7242 GT tub (they are made locally). The width of the alcove is 72.5", the width of the tub is 71.75", so I am going to end up with 3/8" space on each end of the tub between the tile flange and the wall framing. Do I have to shim the entire length of the framing to keep the hardi backer and tile that I plan to install plumb?

Also, the builder didn't put in an access panel for the plumbing and unfortunately I can't put one in due to the placement of the bathroom vanity. Is there any possible way to install the new tub without having access to the drain p-trap?

The supply house told me that I didn't need any mortar under the tub for support because it will be supported by ledger boards and that the bottom of the tub has a sheet of OSB attached for support. Does that sound correct or should I put something else under the tub for support.

I am including some photos of the current tub and the one I bought to replace it. I might add that I didn't recieve any instructions with the tub and the Spurlin website doesn't offer any help.

Thank you for all your help. Money is tight and I am forced to do this project by myself.

Attachments

• the house 001.jpg
    the house 001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • tub 117.jpg
    tub 117.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,471
  • the house 002.jpg
    the house 002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,382
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks