Alcove tub into a tight space

Users who are viewing this thread

craig2018

Reaction score
Hello all, a first-timer here. Nice forum.

I'm remodeling a bathroom in a home constructed in the early 60s and would like to install a 60" cast iron alcove tub (Kohler's Villager) but the room with the drywall removed (I estimate) is barely 60" wide. My guess is that the orignal tub must have been cast (fiberglass tub is in the space now) but I'm wondering if there are tricks for getting a tub like I want into such a tight space. What do the pros do when there is virtually no room at all? Alternately, in the early 60s were cast iron tubs available in lengths less than 60"?

Atomic1

Reaction score
I took a dremel multi max and cut off about 1.5" lengthwise of the mid portion of the studs to give more room. Then scabbed back on as needed.

craig2018

Reaction score
"Estimate" in this case means that I've measured a few times with a tape between the studs where the shower kit was installed: acrylic tub is still in place as my demoliton is happening only in stages. Stud to stud is maybe 60.5".

I followed Terry's link and was heartened by what I read: stand the tub on end in the alcove and then lay it flat by angling and using the spaces between the studs. I think that a combination of "english" and somehow temporarily moving or paring back studs will be my plan but first I'll spend more time with the other thread and study the method.

I have additional questions about level and ledger boards but I'll do more research and then post those questions in the other thread for the sake of continuity.

Big thanks to all: I'm active on woodworking auto repair sites, happily dispensing tips and guidance to newbs. Very good to be as ignorant as I am about a subject like this but to find a resource like this forum.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt you can do this yourself. You will need a helper. You also have to connect the drain, and you didn't mention what kind of access you have.

A Villager weighs more than 300 lbs, so plan ahead. There is a recent post on this subject, do a search here to find out if you can benefit from the info provided.

Let us know how you're doing.

don bo bo

Reaction score
Hello all, a first-timer here. Nice forum.

I'm remodeling a bathroom in a home constructed in the early 60s and would like to install a 60" cast iron alcove tub (Kohler's Villager) but the room with the drywall removed (I estimate) is barely 60" wide. My guess is that the orignal tub must have been cast (fiberglass tub is in the space now) but I'm wondering if there are tricks for getting a tub like I want into such a tight space. What do the pros do when there is virtually no room at all? Alternately, in the early 60s were cast iron tubs available in lengths less than 60"?

what i did was screw 2 2x4 to the end side walls near the top with 3.5 ' screws. then i screwed 2 2x4 together long enough to span the opening from end to end. my walls were open on the face drywall removed, remodeling job. then i have 2 cheap block and tackle from ebay 30 bucks and some rope and attached the block and tackle to the 2 2x4s spanning the tub opening end to end. tie rope to the tub through the overflow opening and around the tub feet under the tub with a rope loop. taped the rope so it would not fall off. then used the block and tackle to sent tub into place. raise lower end and lower the high end into position. tub skirt fits into wall opening where drywall was removed..What is nice about this is you can take out and re-position easy if things are out of level.No broken back or smashed fingers. watch your feet when setting and be careful. not responsible if things go wrong. use method at your own risk .tub weighed 325 lbs. tight fit took tub out 3 times before i had it perfect

craig2018

Reaction score
Link to jcy's pic is broke but from the description I can imagine & visualize the technique.

Nothing new, really, to report. I have the tub, still in the crate, in my garage. I'm still tinkering with peripheral aspects of my bathroom remodel and building up the courage to intall the tub.

In case there's any interest my situation is this: I'm remodeling a first-floor bath in a ranch built in Johnson-era/1960s. I have open access from below in the unfinished portion of the basement. The intent is to keep the adjoining rooms intact, i.e. no opening walls for the sake additional access during installation. I'm thinking that I will shave back a stud for the install. My one original idea is to make small wooden craddle and afix this to the bottom of the tub so that if I need to move it after the initial install I can bore a hole through the floor from beneath and then use a floor jack and a pipe to lift the S.O.B. Hoping that it doesn't come to this. I can round up manpower for lifting and moving, but things will be so tight in this little bathroom that more hands are not what I'll need.

Stay tuned: if I don't report back then it means that there was a KIA. Ha.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks