Alcove Tub Install (misc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
We are planning to install a 24" Soiree Grab Bar on the Right Side of the alcove in the tub area. We need maximum strength because we are not young and need help getting in and out of the tub. Placement framing of the 2x6 or larger boards to keep it strong is the puzzle? Any ideas?

The Valve we are using is the Toto TSTD and is very heavy. Ideas for framing for pipes will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 8,088

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I use 2x6 blocking screwed in between the studs. Its pretty standard as far as grab bar reinforcement. I do the same thing with the support for shower valves. I like 2x6 lumber for this as in my opinion it splits a lot less than the 2x4's. Framing lumber is very poor quality nowadays. Just make sure you don't put any framing where the shower arm will go besides the support for the elbow. I've had to reframe numerous showers because the stud was right in the center of the shower where the arm was going.

Its not a very good picture of it, but you can see how I put the grab bar blocking in my basement bathroom. I also put it in where the towel bars will go. It makes for a much better installation there too.

100_1833.jpg

Last edited:

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
thanks,
do you have any idea about how high or the slant angle???
For the Grab Bar.

sey

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While maybe intuitively useful, a slanted bar can be dangerous because if you need it, you may not have a lot of hand strength, and being likely wet, could just slide down it to the end and lose your grip. I put two bars in my tub/shower area...an L-shaped one on one wall, and a vertical one by the shorter, shower head end. I find it handy to steady myself stepping into and out of the tub. The other one on the long wall helps getting up from sitting in the tub, and with the vertical section, can be used to steady yourself while showering.

If the walls will be tiled, I've used anchors from www.wingits.com that are ADA certified. You need a diamond core bit to drill (one) hole for each end, but I found that the connection was very secure. Much cheaper to have good blocking to screw into, though.

Height, there's standards that has a range in height. Don't remember the range, but think the upper limit was 36" from the tub floor. What I'd do is sit down on the floor and have someone measure the height of your arm when it reaches for a bar to your side. Then, stand up and see how low you can go and still reach feel comfortable. Then decide what height works for both, if possible.

You also want the bar diameter to be fairly large, and keep track of how far it sticks out from the wall - you need enough room to get your hand easily around it and arthritic hands may not bend too well anymore.

Weneedhelp

Reaction score
I am already laying out the install plan and will let you know when it is complete. Thanks for all your ideas, i will use them as soon as i nail down the tub exact detail location.

Sey

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I put a 42" grab bar in my shower, at about a 30 or so degree angle. In my case, it was because there was no blocking and I needed to catch studs. This has been up for about 9 years, through 2 different knee sprains, where I needed the bar to pull be up on one good leg. Works fine for me. I find that the grip on the bar is surprisingly solid even with wet hands.

You might check the ADA spec sheet. They may not agree with the way I have done it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks