Air Vent needs moved

Users who are viewing this thread

Dohc46

Reaction score
Hello,
The previous tub/shower combo that I ripped out allowed for the air vent to be above subfloor (as seen by pics). Of course :), the new tub Delta Classic 400 won't allow this. Any suggestions on what to do with this vent.
This alcove is on 2nd floor of 2 story residential, Ohio.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Plumb 1.jpg
    Plumb 1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Plumb 2.jpg
    Plumb 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 163
  • Plumb 3.jpg
    Plumb 3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Plumb 4.jpg
    Plumb 4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 169

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Are you making any other changes in the room other than the tub?
I have to assume that vent is above the floor because it is not wet vented, if you could connect a lavatory to the vent then you could run it below the floor.

Dohc46

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply: dang it! I knew I should have bought a tub that could handle above the floor piping (like the old tub) (seems like most of the tubs/shower combos today are for below the subfloor piping). No, I was not planning on doing anything else in the bathroom.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Above floor rough tubs are pretty uncommon in my experience. You could offset the vent take off over a bit more where the dead space of the tub won't interfere with it. You'll have to open more tub floor.

ReRouteTub.png

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I may be mistaken, but from the location of the p-trap it looks like the old tub had a waste and overflow with outlet under the drain, rather than under the overflow? If the framing doesn't prohibit the latter kind of waste and overflow, you should be able to get your p-trap close to the valve wall so your vent can rise into the valve wall. [The vent should stay vertical (meaning not more than 45 degree off plumb) until 6" above the flood rim of the tub, which the old arrangement did not do.]

Since your bath drain is so high (up against the bottom of the sheathing), you'd need to use an upright wye for the vent takeoff. If you put it immediately after the p-trap elbow, it may allow you to get the vent into the valve wall at 45 degrees off plumb without hitting the tub. The u-bend can point mostly away from the drain line to get the wye as close as possible to the wall.

Or, if the drain runs to the (short) back wall of the tub alcove, you coul move your vent takeoff there. Tubs often have a void space under them there because the back of the tub is sloped.

Cheers, Wayne

P.S. There may be a height issue with the bath drain up against the bottom of the sheathing--it may not be possible to get a p-trap under the waste and overflow with the trap outlet high enough to meet that existing bath drain. In which case your only option that doesn't involve opening things up to see if you can lower the bath drain is to get an above floor roughin tub.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good catch wayne, that old tub was likely the American Standard Princeton (may be other models) with above floor rough in and integral overflow. I've installed them when working with Truss Joists where the overflow and tub shoe were on opposite sides of the TJI.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In which case your only option that doesn't involve opening things up to see if you can lower the bath drain is to get an above floor roughin tub.
Well, another option if you're only off a little in height is to raise the tub, if you don't might the higher step-over height. You could just use a piece of 3/4" plywood, or a frame of flat-wise 2x material, or both. You'd just have to figure out how to finish the edge of the platform, assuming your finish floor thickness is less than your platform height. But depending on where you are with the tub on hand, that might be easier than swapping tubs.

Cheers, Wayne

Dohc46

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies...I have added 4 more photos (Plumb 5,6,7,8) to make it more clear of the situation. The new tub is in the place it needs to be obviously night right lol...sitting on the vent and part of the tub would fall in the rough in hole (that's another issue I'm stuck on). I just dry fit it there for photos, obviously not permanent. Yes Wayne you are right, "the old tub had a waste and overflow with outlet under the drain". The old tub was: Bremen - Glas Model 60T Z 124.1-.2. New pic Plumb 5 is showing it sitting on the current vent & even if the vent was gone it looks like the tub would partially fall through the rough-in hole. Plumb 6 is showing the "dead space" of possible moving something above the floor? Plumb 7 is showing the possible dead space that Tuttles Revenge is suggesting on his rerouting diagram and I think Wayne also mentions that option? This pic is also showing the vent going vertically up to the attic where it will eventually hook up to another vent in the master bath and go outside (i think). Plumb 8 is showing a partially cut out floor joist close to the closet and the apparent issue (at least for me) on can't scoot the entire plumbing back because it would end up in the closet and that floor joist in the way.

Attachments

• Plumb 8.jpg
    Plumb 8.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Plumb 7.jpg
    Plumb 7.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Plumb 6.jpg
    Plumb 6.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 155
  • plumb 5.jpg
    plumb 5.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 142
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks