Air return duct is not connected to the blower intake plenum

Users who are viewing this thread

idreos

Reaction score
I am considering buying a condo and when I first looked at the property I noticed the HVAC system's blower was in a small closet.

Upon closer observation I saw that the air return grill in the living room wall was connected to a duct that was never connected to the blower intake plenum. See photo below.

When I had the property inspected the home inspector also noticed the same situation. The Trane HVAC blower was installed 6 years ago.

Is this a faulty installation?
Thanks for your help

diagram of faulty install.png

Stuff

Reaction score
I see a filter in the lower left. The closet becomes the return plenum so still functional as long as it is not a gas furnace with an air intake. What they did may have been to reduce noise in the living room.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Look up in that furnace closest see if the ceiling is in. Then their using that as a return air from the second floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks